Come on parents it is a Christmas Program---get with it!!!

I went to my kids music program at school lastnight, he wore a shirt and tie and kaki pants, he is very big for his age and hard to find clothes for, they always have to be altered, I do not sew, I had his clothes ready and hung up last month. So we get the the program and most all the kids are dressed very well, like a christmas fashion show. But then, there were some kids that looked like they just rolled out of bed, uncombed hair, dirty faces and clothes, some dressed in play clothes.
Come on people!!! And don't give me that crap about being poor! I'M POOR, I am a single mother of two children I bring home $300 a week, no PA, no child support. I knew a year ago that they would have at least two dress up programs and who knows maybe a funeral or two, and a nice church outfit, a dress shirt and tie at walmart $10.00, We had to be there at 6:15, I worked till a little after 5 and had supper and still got there, clean

blue_glass_mama

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 10:29 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• continued) and dressed nice, what do you other mothers think??
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 10:30 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• You sound like my kinda mom!! Good for you! I am very adament about my children looking and dressing their best, and appropriate for what they are doing. It doesnt have to be expensive either. I have transitioned two of my kids into a private school so they have to wear collared polos, chinos and a belt is mandatory unless they are wearing a skirt. I still have one in public school and I require him to wear collared button up shirts and jeans with clean tennis shoes. When its time to dress up, then I make sure he has the appropriate wear as well. I feel like my kids are a reflection of me and how much I care about what they are doing. Its not about what people think, per se, but more like self pride. Caring about what we look like and that reflects how we feel about ourselves. I agree with you totally....its not about money. Yes, sometimes I buy name brand or expensive clothes, but not always. Keep up the good work!!
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 10:54 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I work at a preschool and we have a few children like that at our school.

And these are NOT the poor students....not when parents drop them off in BMW's and HUGE SUV's....

They show up looking like they just rolled out of bed, no breakfast...flip flops when it is 40 degrees outside...?

BUT I have to remind myself that even though they appear to have money...you never really know what is going on at home.

There might have been marital issues, or abuse or drug abuse or emotional problems. Maybe they are having financial difficulties even though it may not seem like it.

I just know that things arent always as they seem AND that I can not judge others by how I handle my own life because you never really KNOW a perso.n

I do hope that the parents are at least trying their best and doing all they know how to do for their children.

I just always try to give the benefit of the doubt. I hope that makes
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:57 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• *makes me a good teacher* (what I meant to type....lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:58 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I think you're judgmental. My kids would have been clean but they would have been there in jeans and a decent shirt. We don't have the money for dress clothes of any kind. (and before I get jumped on about being on the internet...you don't know IF *I* have it or where I am to get online, so kiss my ass) Guess what, we didn't have the money months ago either.

Goody for you that you're so perfect, but until you know the entire story, shut your trap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• 11:16 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 by: Anonymous

I think you're judgmental. My kids would have been clean but they would have been there in jeans and a decent shirt. We don't have the money for dress clothes of any kind. (and before I get jumped on about being on the internet...you don't know IF *I* have it or where I am to get online, so kiss my ass) Guess what, we didn't have the money months ago either.

_______________
    Bitter and jealous much? You could have just not replied. You don't have to be so hateful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I always try to dress my kids appropriately for whatever they are doing or where they are going. When we go to church or town, my son wears nice jeans or khakis, his shirt tucked in, a belt, and good shoes. The girls wear dresses or nice pants or capris with nice color-coordinated tops. When we go to Grandma’s or somewhere where they will be playing outside, they wear some of their better play clothes. At home, anything goes. But they are still always presentable, because we like to walk around town when the weather is nice.
    Leslie2164

Answer by Leslie2164 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• The really sad thing is, that the kids are often blamed and judged for things like this.. by other kids..

I had a friend growing up whose mom was schizophrenic. She was medicated, but she was never "normal" like my mom.

I had no money growing up, but I was always clean and even if I wore Salvation Army I still looked -halfway- decent most of the time.. but poor Jackie did not. She'd often show up to our house hungry and smelling like cat pee. My mom would wash her clothes, shoes, and she'd take a bath and stuff. We gave her things even tho we didn't have much.

The worst part was that she was teased mercilessly. I was teased, but, not even close to the extent. And Jackie ended up pregnant at 12 and her life went downhill from there.

If I see kids not dressed appropriately or dirty, I pity them and want to help. Sometimes neglect is going on.

I'd just feel bad, not be judgemental.
    Anonymous

• No i think i came off wrong, I SAW THE EMBARASSMENT IN THE THE LITTLE GIRLS EYE WHEN THE OTHER KIDS HAD BEAUTIFUL DRESSES ON AND SHE HAD NOTHING AND IT WAS UNACCEPTABLE BECAUSE, BOTH PARENTS SMOKE AND DRINK AND, THEY COULD NOT GET SOMETHING, ANYTHING EVEN AT A RUMMAGE SALE OR A THRIFT STORE OR BORROW SOMETHING FROM SOMEONE!! Also I am far from PERFECT, I SWEAR AND GET ANGRY TOO EASY AND SAY THINGS I REGRET, AND OTHER PEOPLES MOTHERS SAY I AM TOO HARD ON THE KIDS AND EVEN MY MOM SAYS IT BUT IT IS FOR THEIR OWN GOOD. I LOVE THEM AND DO NOT WANT THE TO BE TEASED AND I WANT THE TO BE HAPPY AND SUCCESSFUL!
    Anonymous

• Was being dressed up a requirement of the program?
    Because if it wasn't then there is no reason to complain. My kids don't have "dress up" clothes. They have no need for them. We don't go to church, don't dress up for anything else. My son has nice polo shirts (because he likes them) but has never owned a tie and most of his pants have holes in them or are plain blue jeans. The girls have sun dresses which aren't appropriate for school or winter time. In the winter they wear jeans and t-shirts.
    Even if "dress up" was required I wouldn't go out and spend money on clothes they would wear just that one day. They would just wear the nicest jeans and shirts they had in their drawers already.
    I don't buy my kids fancy clothes just for Christmas. Waste of money for us.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2009