Getting induced on the 17th....advice, please.

I'm getting induced on Dec 17th because little miss thing in here doesn't seem to have a whole lot of amniotic fluid. I'm okay with being induced as long as there is a medical reason behind it. However, I would LOVE to not have to be induced and see if I can have her a little sooner, naturally. What are things that worked for you to bring on labor (no castor oil suggestions, please...bad idea with the low fluid), and if anything did work for you, how long after you did them did you go into labor?

SammyJoB

Asked by SammyJoB at 10:30 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Sex and walking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Oh and it's dumb to even take that oil.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• HAve you started to dialate at all?
    If no then even home remedys wont work. Also not to worry you but most likely an induction wont either.
    If youhave started to dialte walk walk walk
    also have sex and heck even try eating fresh pinnapple.
    other than that I cant think of anything LOL
    GOod luck I hope you can go naturally like you want!!
    Congrats on the baby BTW
    Anonymous

• Amnion is constantly replaced. Drink a lot of water and your fluid levels will likely go up. And sometimes if they take the ultrasound at a time when the baby perhaps has ingested a bit of it and hasn't peed it out yet, or the angle is off it may appear that there is low fluid when it isn't.

I wouldn't do an induction until I had drunk a lot of water in case I was a bit dehydrated and only if the baby was in distress.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:36 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I would drink a ton of water and double check the levels with a different technician. Low AFI really doesn't show much more risk than normal levels. Since the amniotic fluid is related to your hydration level (because it is primarily fetal urine), you drinking more should cause the levels to increase. Also, different techs can get different readings in the same day (especially if baby has a good pee).
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 10:37 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• this low fluid thing is something they have determined over the entire duration of my pregnancy. i've been going to a specialist every two weeks for the last 4 months and still seeing my regular doctor so unfortunately, its not a water thing. and i drink a gallon a day, anyhow lol
    SammyJoB

Answer by SammyJoB at 10:38 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• if induction is a *must*, have you talked to your provider about trying stripping membranes first? check out the info on that at the cochrane collaboration website. gl!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Pregnancy & Motherhood are constantly throwing us for a loop, always new challenges! I understand NOT wanting an induction, definitely. You will be weighing your risks to see which options are safer for you & baby. But understanding the situation is a priority for Informed Consent.

Do you know the AFI number? Are you above a "5"?
    (*Drinking a lot of water is really a safe remedy to avoiding an induction.)
    Have they discussed Infusion?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:01 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• happened with my son i went almost 2 weeks over due come to find out for the reason i didnt go into laybor or my water broke is because the baby had little to non amneotic fluid so im guessing inducing and taking her out is the best bet you dont wanna end up like mine they waited so long the nthey figured out that my amneotic fluid was dangerously low they induced me on top of all of that my son was too big ended up in a emergency c section that the end result he spent 4 weeks in the nic unit due to fluid all in his lungs so let the mtake her out she is better outside than in !!
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 11:59 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I was 5 days over due and searching the web because I did not want to be induced (First DD was by induction) So my husband and I came across Acupressure, So we tried it. I dont know if this is what made me go into labour but 7 hours Later I woke up with contractions, You might want to look it up yourself But I do believe it worked for me
    This is the pressure point we tried, my husband did it for about 5-10min each side
    ( This point can be found on the top of your hand in the webbing between your thumb and index finger. Press on an angle underneath the bone that connects with the index finger. To stimulate contractions, rub the point.)
    twogirlsandmore

Answer by twogirlsandmore at 3:40 PM on Dec. 4, 2009