Is it superficial to break up with someone just because they have naturally bad smelling breath?

My DH told me that he broke up with a girl for this reason. I feel it's a little superficial cuz you can just chew gum or something. It shouldn't be such a big deal that you break it off just for that. He said it was just a turn off for him that he couldn't get past. What do you think superficial or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• thats a dumb reason..there are some things you can fix in people...bad breath, bad teeth, baldness, some things such as a persons ego, attitude, sometimes addiction will probably never change...and are give more of a reason for breaking up.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:51 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I agree with him! Something like that would turn me off as well. Even though they can chew gum you still can't get past that they had bad breath. I can imagine kissing them and thinking Ewwww, bad breath!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:44 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I think it was probably an on going problem with his ex. You can only drop hints and give someone gum so many times. If they dont care to start taking care of it and preventing the problem it would be a huge turnoff! Can you imagine going to kiss your hubby and everytime it was a bad smell, a few times you deal with it after awhile you decide you are tired of it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:01 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• he obviously didnt love her enough or he would do more to help her or just deal with it...i dont particularly care for my husbands hairy shoulders..but he refuses to do anything about it..but i love him and i can deal with it and i've moved past my nagging him about it.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:07 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• shay, hairy shoulders are a bit different. you dont have to kiss hairy shoulders everytime you show affection to him. I dont think its superficial. If youre going to be with someone you should enjoy kissing them. I know I wouldnt enjoy kissing someone with bad breath. You said naturally, so maybe its something gum wouldn't help. Maybe not the best reason to break up, but I dont think its superficial.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• she could've had something wrong with her..that could very easily been fixed maybe a trip to the dentist or the doctor..my sisters daughter had something going on with her one time where she was only having bowel movements once every 2 wks and it was backing her up and gave her terrible breath..fart breath. idk what it was called.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Deal breakers are deal breakers. She just wasn't the right one for him.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:43 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• He just wasn't that in to her. If he broke it off cause of her breath it must have been pretty bad! I dont see anything wrong with it. Thats why you date, you can end it for any reason you want.
    babycakes111

Answer by babycakes111 at 12:09 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• If she had bad breath one time and he broke up with her, then yes, that would be superficial. But if it was an ongoing thing, no that's not superficial. Bad breath is a major turn off. My ex wouldn't brush his teeth, like ever, and I stopped kissing him b/c if I got anywhere near his face, I would want to throw up. It's disgusting when someone has bad breath, and you can tell the difference between it being bad b/c they just ate, and it being bad b/c they haven't brushed in a day or ten. There are things that shouldn't be a big deal, I agree, and things like bad teeth or whatever shouldn't be a big deal. My boyfriend is missing a few teeth, but he brushes twice a day and takes excellent care of the ones he still has, and his breath is never bad, and he's a smoker.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Wow she must of not been all that other than her breath he could have suggested to go see a dentist or tell her hey I don't want to offend you but your breath STINKS!!! (like donkey said to shrek)...lol She had to have some kind of dental issues...poor girl now she'll never know suppose no one tells her anything and every guy she meets is going to run the other way too just like your dh. But I can imagine bad breath is a turn off. I once met a guy at a club and omg talk about onion breath the sad thing was he was hot but his breath was not :(
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:56 PM on Dec. 4, 2009