What is the lowest temperture a dog can stand it being outside? (Golden Retriever)

I cannot bring them inside our home is too small and all they do is want to run and play in here I just want them to sit still but that is not possible. I feel sorry for them out there but they have a coat on so hopefully that is good enough along with their dog houses. No insulation or nothing to keep them warmer :(
My dh says they're dogs they'll be fine, but I feel bad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Pets

• Can you put them in a garage or shed? Maybe put some old blankets in the dog house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Are they used to being outside? If so, then they should be fine as long as they have shelter (dog house) and plenty of food and water. We have several dogs that stay outside all the time and they are used to weather changes. Also, you may want to stuff hay or some sort of bedding into the boxes so they have some extra warmth to sleep on. They should be just fine, unless you live somewhere that gets below freezing temps and stays there on a regular basis
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 10:52 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I suspect freezing is too cold, but our boxer has been spending time indoors in this cold weather. He is a high energy dog, but he will lay down once he gets over the excitement. Most dogs are like that. Anyway...maybe you should put them in a kennel indoors so that they aren't jumping all over everything, but they are still warm. We kennel our do if he gets out of hand and he knows it. I guess that's why he's god when we let him in. BTW we live in a very small house I suspect smaller than yours, but I don't know. 2 bed one bath a kitchen and living room about 1000 sq feet.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:53 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I meant to say good when he's inside not god. LOL
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:54 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Put lots of straw and hay on the bottom of the dog house. The house itself will shield them from the wind. Keep it elevated by bricks or something so that it won't be wet from the ground. You can train them.....especially Goldens.....to be calm in the house. Make sure they always have water, not ice.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:57 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• your dogs are hyper in the house because they aren't ALLOWED in the house. Goldens are FAMILY dogs, they need to be with their families, so yes, when they are let into the house they will go nuts because they are soo happy to be with their family. Generally any temps that are very below freezing are dangerous to dogs..
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:15 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Oh geez. some people are dead wrong, dear.

According to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Retriever
    "They do very well in small living areas of at least 500 sq. feet. "

Goldens were originally bred in Scotland for waterfowl.

So, I looked up Scotland's hunting/shooting seasons for fowl @ http://www.naturenet.net/law/seasons.htm

That site shows from Aug to Feb typically.

So, from there, I looked up the average temperatures there at that time. (Keep in mind, they were bred to collect birds from the water, so they're wet in these temperatures.

http://www.world66.com/europe/unitedkingdom/scotland/lib/climate says the avg temps range from 50-below freezing.

I looked up Britain's avg temps too, and they show relatively the same as Scotland's.

Your dog is bred to be wet in those sorts of temperatures. So don't be afraid to leave them outdoors.

cont below.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• All I'm getting at is that the people claiming you HAVE to bring your dogs inside are probably members of PETA, and are only going to make you feel worse. Just imagine, you have this big, hairy dog, and they think he should be in the house for the winter. What about cows? Have you ever felt cowhide? With the hair on it? It's MUCH thinner than your dog's hair, and they wouldn't suggest to you putting a cow in your house. (And we're on a 55,000acre ranch and run 5000 cows here, and no, in rural Montana, the cows don't have barns.)

Use your best judgement with the information you now have about your breed, and make your decision confidently. Do pack the houses with straw so they have something to bed down in and insulate the houses for them. Your DH/SO is right, they will be fine. And they'll love it when it snows!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• (that's 50 to below freezing)
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:25 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Yeah the BREED was meant to WORK in those conditions. These dogs are probably not from any near bloodline of those Scottish dogs and they are not working outside, they are just sitting there. I am far from being a member of PETA but I do know there is no damn point in having dogs if you arent going to give them what they need: EXERCISE (they would be much calmer in the house if they were exercised properly), SHELTER, food and water. People have dogs for companionship. Why have them if you just keep them outside 24/7? What's their purpose in life? They arent working or being companions, they're merely just living there. Sounds like a fun life.
    Anonymous