Former Fox news host, what are your thoughts on this?

I am not the Eric Burns who heads Media Matters, the liberal watchdog group. I am the Eric Burns who used to host Fox News Watch on the right-wing partial-news-but-mostly-opinion network. In the past year and a half, since departing from Ailes and friends, I have been much more silent about media matters than my namesake.

I speak out now because it is the time of year when one is supposed to count blessings. I have several. Among them is that I do not have to face the ethical problem of sharing an employer with Glenn Beck.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:49 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Beck is a noodle head along with Rush, Olberman, Hannity, Garafalo and the rest. I am glad that the majority of the world understands that they are entertainment....oh shit, they don't. :)
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 10:53 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Actually, Beck is a problem of taste as well as ethics. He laughs and cries; he pouts and giggles; he makes funny faces and grins like a cartoon character; he makes earnest faces yet insists he is a clown; he cavorts like a victim of St. Vitus's Dance. His means of communicating are, in other words, so wide-ranging as to suggest derangement as much as versatility.

He is Huey Long without the political office.

He is Father Coughlin without the dour expression.

He is John Birch without the Society.

He is an embarrassment to all true conservatives, men and women who believe sincerely, thoughtfully and sensibly that the role of government in American life should be limited.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:49 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

He is John Birch without the Society.

sweet-a-kins

• Remarkable because, every night, Fox's Bill O'Reilly stages an exhibition of contentiousness, mean-spiritedness and self-aggrandizement that would similarly have affronted civil viewers of the past.

Remarkable because, every night, CNN's Campbell Brown stages an exhibition of a different kind, one of honorable pugnacity, an exhibition that would have stimulated viewers of the past but instead makes her a part of her network's continuing decline in prime-time ratings.

Yet Glenn Beck surpasses them all. He is the talk of the talkers. It is he who causes commentators to comment, fans to swoom, foes to fulminate. And it is he who has motivated me to burrow up from my literary researches to opine on journalism one more time.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:50 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I ask myself what I would have done if I worked at Fox now. Would I have quit, as the estimable Jane Hall did? Once a panelist on my program, Hall departed for other reasons as well, but Beck was a particular source of embarrassment to her, even though they never shared a studio, perhaps never even met.

I think . . . I think the answer to my question does not do me proud. I think, more concerned about income than principle, I would have continued to work at Fox, but spent my spare time searching avidly for other employment. I think I would not have been as admirable as Jane Hall. I think I would not have reacted to Beck with the probity I like to think I possess.

But, in my defense, I would never have gone out in public without wearing those funny black eyeglasses with no glass, bushy eyebrows and a fake nose.
    sweet-a-kins

• Great cut and paste sweet, beyond that is just seemed like blah blah blah with no real purpose than Beck bashing AND no link.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:58 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

thanks for always pointing to the C& P on my posts but never on your fellow conservies, you establish yourself as just a partisan meannie with nothing really to add so you use a superficial insult. Good for you

anyways, no comment on this mans statements? I Cut and paste because I want you to see HIS words and not MINE 

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:01 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

Not only do they NOT, you can SEE ^^ how senstiive they get when someone dares say it out loud

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:02 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Why are all the books written by Fox News Personalities currently on the Best Seller List? http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/06/books/bestseller/besthardnonfiction.html?_r=1&ref=bestseller

Read and Weep. Read and Weep.

I don't see Olberman anywhere................................or Matthews...................

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• First of all, if you are going to quote someone, give them the credit. Second, just the thought of anything honorably pugnaciousant coming from CNN is purely laughable. As for the person who left Fox, I don't know them. Don't care. Fox actually reports what is truly going on in our government now. They do not live up BO's butt. That is probably why their ratings are higher than all of the other networks combined.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 11:03 AM on Dec. 4, 2009