Does anyone's child have anxiety?

My 4year old is having trouble at preschool. She says she gets a headache everyday, and wants a nap after every class. She says there are too many people, and lately she is refusing to go at all. If we make her go, then she cries or sometimes is just fine. I am so confused about whether to have her continue?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Teacher here:

First step is to make sure that this particular preschool is what is causing the issues. Make sure there are no students bullying her or a loud teacher who scares her. Maybe spend a day peaking in on her. ANY school should allow a parent to check in like this, if they wont....LEAVE this preschool.

If all of that checks out ok, then you just have a worried child. I personally was one of those ;) She needs to continue to be able to work past her fears so that she can go to school next year. But you can help her....maybe find her a picture of the family to keep in her pocket....or a special trinket to remind her of home and how you will be back soon.

Go to the school, take pictures of the rooms and her teachers....post them on the fridge and talk BIG about them. Meaning, brag on them....about how proud you are of her work.

CONT....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:15 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Make a special bulletin board to put her papers and work on...brag on it and post them. Brag to family and friends about how well she is doing.

She just needs some support and reassurance.

Kids very often pick up parents ideas and feelings about things...if she sees how excited and amazed you are at her and her preschool, it may help her.

But I also have to say that some kids just always have a "worried" attitude about things, and that is OK....it is a good character trait to have in the future...a healthy fear of things can keep a kid away from trouble....so dont forget to look at the bright side ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:17 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• My son suffered from anxiety bad until about 4th grade. He is now in 8th and still has issues once in a while--usually in new settings.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• somedays my son acts like this hes 3 and is in pre preschool while im at work... and some days he does not want to get ready he says hes sleepy.... or if i get him to preschool he will cry for me and not want me to go!
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2009