using more electricity...

would it cost more turning the ac/heat on and off or just leaving it on and set low while your gone...i try to tell my husband that it uses more switching it on and off...or am i wrong?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 11:19 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think it uses more if you keep switching it on and off.
    kimosgirl08

Answer by kimosgirl08 at 11:24 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I have always read to turn it down rather than on and off since it takes energy to fire it back up, the house may get really cold and it will take more energy to warm it back up.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I got a programmable thermostat so it gets cooler during the day but not so cool that it has to run forever to warm it up. I have it set mon thru friday to get cool at midnight (65) then before we get up it kick on and warms up a few degrees. at 830 is gets back down to 65 while no one is home. On the weekends it stays more like 67 all the time since we are more likely to be home. You just dont want to shut if off then the house gets to 50 everyday and the heat has to run a long time to warm it all up again. my bills are reasonable so i think it helps to have the new thermostat.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• You are correct...turn it low when you leave, but don't turn it off. It will get too cold and have to work more to warm it back up to where you want it when you get back.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Yep, keep it at a constant temp. It has to work harder to heat/cool up or down all the time if you keep turning it on and off.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2009