Does ANYONE else volunteer during the holidays?

I'm shocked that in all of these posts all over cafemom about what your family does for the holidays I have not seen ONE SINGLE person mention that they volunteer their time to shelters or charity drives. My family has always spent Christmas eve at homeless shelters, giving out meals and blankets. We volunteer year round but doing this for the holidays has a special meaning to my family. Honestly, it is the best part of the holidays for our family.
It makes me so sad to see that no one has mentioned doing something like this, it's all about gifts and fun.
Is there anyone else out there who celebrates more than presents?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We volunteer throughout the year. Honestly, most agencies are overwhelmed with volunteers this time of year, so we mostly stay away.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I volunteer during the year, when the kids are in school. I can't during Christmas break, for what shall I do with my children? Like rkoloms said, busy times like the holidays make for an overabundance anyway.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• We do, but not just at Christmas time. People are just as hungry in July as they are in December. This year we are helping at my DD's school. They are having a benefit dinner for two students who lost their home in a house fire week of Thanks Giving. They were un-insured at the time. So we donated food and our time to help. There are soooo many ways to help others year round...I teach my kids it never costs anyone anything to be kind to another.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2009