What would you do?*Christians*

My 74 year old grandmother passed away a week ago of a massive heart attack. She had just had stints put in her heart a few days earlier and was at home recovering. She was supposed to be on two meds-a blood thinner, and a plasma med. She had been on the blood thinner for years *aggranox* and was just prescribed the plasma meds. When she went to fill the plasma med, the pharmacist WROTE her a note telling her to not mix the two meds.. this was on a Saturday, so she was unable to get ahold of her doctor. So, per pharmicist orders, she didnt take the plasma meds, and called her DR. Monday morning. He was gonna call her back, by the time he did, she was in the ambulance on her way to the hospital, and shortly thereafter died. The dr. and coroner both felt that had she taken her meds, this wouldnt have happened. My mom, aside from wanting to choke the pharmacist, has contacted a lawyer. My grandfather feels she shouldnt because

Auntiemom410

Asked by Auntiemom410 at 11:21 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• he feels god could've intervened, but he didnt so her passing must've been his will. My mom agrees, but still thinks something should be done about the pharmacy and it shouldnt just be let go. What do you think? what would you do if it were your grandmother, mother, your child?
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:23 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I know you werent likely done writing this, but i will comment on what you already have. I dont feel there is a case here. The pharmacist can only go on what the information about the medications tells him. The computer has a list of all the meds that someone is on, as long as they are getting them filled at the same pharmacy, and will alert the pharmacist for any medication interactions. The fact that the TOLD her this information is good. In her case, she was an example of something other than the usual and she needed these meds together, but for a general rule, the meds were not supposed to be taken together. This informating might SAVE someone else but happened to be fatal to her. The pharmacist was doing his job. We had a situation back in the Spring when my husbands grandmother called a nurse to help her use the restroom. They didnt come after almost an hour and she couldnt hold it anymore. cont.
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• She tried to just swing her legs around and use the potty next to the bed and she fell and hit her head and began bleeding in her brain. She died 3 days later. She had chronic COPD and was on the mend and ready to be released again to the rehab center that day. It wasnt COPD that killed her. She just needed help using the restroom. My mother in law and her sister wouldnt even think of suing because they felt she acted on her own will, even though the hospital staff was negligent and possibly understaffed. This is not the first time this has happened either. As christians, sometimes we have to just accept things the way they are and realize that maybe our loved ones are better off with the Lord, if thats where you believe she is. Things happen in life that we cant control and we always want someone to blame. I think a lawsuit is futile on this issue and though I do feel that lawsuits are necessary sometimes. Even for Christans.
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 11:34 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• If anything the Doctor should have contacted the pharmacy to let them know that she needed to take both or it could be fatal. All the pharmicist has is the information from the computer. If they hadn't and your Grandmother had died from mixing them you would be here upset that they hadn't mentioned it.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 11:35 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• This is a tragic situation, but I feel like the pharmacist was giving his best advice..he is human. And truth be told, you never really know what would might have happened had the situation been different.

If he had told her to take them together and she still passed on, would you have contacted a lawyer b/c the two meds were not suppose to be taken together...see what I mean.

You just really never know what might have been. It might have been a situation where NO amount of meds mixed or not mixed would have saved her.

I would grieve quietly and know that your grandmother is in a wonderful place waiting on the day for you to arrive.

I am sorry this happened...it will probably always be a question in your mind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Well, my aunt is the office manager of our hospitals heart surgery clinic and she said that when something like this were to come up, it is up to the pharmacist to call and confirm with the doctor before giving the patient other instructions. The doctors she works for get calls 7 days a week from pharmacists double checking things. My grandmothers doctor is LIVID and absolutely felt like the pharmacist should've called him before giving out other instructions. It also says on the insert that it was okay to mix the two meds if the patient had heart stints so the pharmacist should've known that in her case it was fine, but by him writing her a note telling her not to do it, it scared her. I just feel he had NO place in trying to play doctor. He should've called her doctor before advising her.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Im so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Sounds like so many things just slipped by. I wish the doc would have called her back. Again Im so sorry.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:40 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• My thing is, what if this had been a child? What if it were your child? And it could've been avoided by the Pharmacist calling the doctor? We arent out for money. We probably wont sue for anything more than the funeral costs. My mom feels that had it been my grandpa, my grandmother would have definately pursued this, and she feels like my grandmother would want this pursued.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:41 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Most Dr's have a 24 hour answer service so not sure why she could not contact him, Pharmacist was doing his job, if he had not said anything and she had problems , then people would be upset about that. If he did not know the reason for the new prescription he was just advising her of what he should. I don't think sueing him will do anything since he did exactly as his job description tells him to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• The Pharmacist did not tell her to not take the medication only not to mix them. She could have taken them at different times or asked the Pharmacist for more information.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 4, 2009