Pro-cosleepers and cosleeping moms. I wanted to cosleep, but I didn't.

The reason is that I get night terrors sometimes - especially when someone/a pet is breathing on me, and have been known to punch/kick/slap/throw the pet/person. I thought that this would be dangerous for my baby and so I decided not to cosleep.

However, I keep reading about people being super-aware of their child being in the bed and waking up in the same positions they started in, etc.

If this is true, for future babies that I probably will have, do you think I could safely cosleep, or would it be a huge risk of me attacking the baby? Does anyone else that gets night terrors cosleep?

I think I may not have gotten such severe sleep deprivation and BF'ing at first may have gone easier.

And when my son has nightmares when he's older? Should I have him sleep by daddy and not near me?

I wanted to add that the animals aren't in our marital bed - they were in my bed at my parents house.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm not sure you could safely cosleep. If possible, you could have someone awake for a few nights to watch you and baby sleep, but that might not be feasible. If I were in your shoes, I probably would not keep my baby in the bed.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I think because Co- sleeping is not a necessity that you shouldn't take the risk. My husband has night terrors and he has hit me before while I was pregnant. He doesn't even know it. There for our son never sleeps with us Im afraid Eric would accidentally hit him,
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:48 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I co slept with my baby at first. she didnt like her bassinet so i would put her in the bouncer and turn on the little vibrating thing and place her in closets to the wall in the bouncer. I would sleep next to her and my husband would sleep on the oppistie side of me.After a while she started not likeing sleeping with us bc my husbands snoring would wake her up so I would swaddle her and place her in her crib with her boppy (my breastfeeding pillow) and now thats how she sleeps. swaddled in her crib with her boppy
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 11:50 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• since you have a history of night terrors, yopu should cosleep. i cosleep i am a very light sleeper and i varely move while i sleep unless the baby wkaes up pr i have to go pee. i dont think cosleeping would be safein your situation
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:54 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• wouldnt be safe
    piwife

• Well, cosleeping would be safe. Bedsharing might not be, but you can figure out how to work around the baby being in your bed. You can piggyback a cosleeper to the side of your bed, keep the crib close in your room, etc. That way baby has their own space if you're nervous about them being right next to you, but you also don't have to walk across the house to nurse.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 12:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I think a better option for you would be a bassinet or portable crib right next to your side of the bed.

For me, the family bed was a nightmare. I started the habit because I was breastfeeding and healing from a c-section and it was just easier to lay in bed and feed my baby and not get up at all. But, for our family co-sleeping didn't benefit anyone. Even my baby didn't sleep well. We all just kept waking each other throughout the night. We were all sleep deprived and cranky for an entire year. That's when I finally moved my DD to her own bed. After she got used to it she was an entirely new baby because she was getting the sleep she needed.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• If you want a newborn next to you when sleeping put him in a seperate co sleeper or bassinet. His or her own bed where you don't have to worry about sufficating him. By the time the child outgrows the seperate sleeper move him or her to a crib.
    emarin77

Answer by emarin77 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Just recently there was a news item about a co-sleeping Mom who accidenttally smothered her baby during the night. DON'T allow your baby to sleep with you. Its way too dangerous.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• OP ) lol thanks lindalu but I said PRO-cosleepers and cosleepers

Thanks everyone else for responding. I DID have a bassinet next to our bed, but he nursed and nursed and nursed. I mean he nursed for 4 hours at one point. I would've given anything to just..nod off with him in my arms.

But I didn't.

Here's to hoping the next baby nurses quickly!
    Anonymous