do you recommend microfiber furniture?

I have 2 kids ages 9 and 5 and also have 3 dogs. 1 german short hair, one vanilla lab, and one doxie/basset whom all think they are human and are allowed on the furniture. My husband and I are shopping for new furniture and are wondering if microfiber would be the way to go. I have heard mixed reviews so I would love your input!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I would suggest that you RUN!!!!! full speed ahead from Microfiber furniture. We have a microfiber sectional and it is a nightmare! The dog hair sticks to it like a magnet and is almost impossible to get clean. If I had it to do all over again, I would get leather furniture. It is easier to clean that microfiber and lasts a lot longer.
    mykidsmom75067

Answer by mykidsmom75067 at 11:53 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• NO!!!! I bought a microfiber sofa from Rooms to Go about 6 years ago and we hated it. Maybe the color was too light but it was so hard to keep clean. If you walked over and touched it with a wet hand, then it would leave a spot. If the kids put their hands in their mouths and then touched the sofa, you have a hand print. It showed all water spots and dirt easily. I wish I could show you a picture of it after a day of just normal use. My sister in law has one too and hers is darker than mine and hers doesnt show water spots as bad as mine but she says hers is hard to clean too. I say go with leather or vinyl. Heck, if I had known, I would have just had plastic furniture until my kids got older. We got rid of it about 6 mos ago and to clean it before I gave it away, I drug it out into the driveway and pressure washed it with a Husky pressure washer! Thats how filthy it was but that does show how tough the material was. GL!
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Absolutely not! It's hard to clean and the fabric wears out faster.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:59 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I like mine but it is very dark in color and my kids are 17, 10 and 8. I also dont have dogs. With all you have in the house I would go with leather. Everything does stick to the micro, thats my only problem with it.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:59 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• lol. I like mine just fine and everyone says it is the comfiest damn couch they ever sat their tush on.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I once had Microfiber and loved it!! That is when it was at the furniture store.. Lol. Once we got it home every little water spot stuck to it, my 3 yr old and 1 yr old always would manage to get something on it that would take hours and hours to get out. We dont have pets but Im telling you pet hair will stick to it just like everything else. I would not recommend it unless the person is children and pet free. We had ours for 4 weeks and I got tired of spending my weekends spot cleaning the couch and oversized chair so we sold it for something not so hard to take care of.
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 12:12 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I don't get the pp. We have 5 cats and 3 dogs and only will ever have and buy microfiner. The hair comes off easy and you can get any kind of stain out of it, we've had ours for years. Just make sure it's not the super soft (cheap) microfiber, that would be a hair magnet,
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• NO! I don't suggest that anyone with children or animals buys it. While it is relatively inexspensive and looks nice. It gets diry so quick. We have microfiber couch that is only a year old. It looks horrible. We bought it at Macy's by the way so it's not something that was bought at a cheap furniture store. I can't wait to get rid of it and get a leather one.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 2:19 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• What!? I am in shock with all of these answers. I have four kids, a fawn colored boxer/pit mix who sheds like there is no tomorrow, I have a blonde golden retriever who loses hair in clumps and I have no problems with their hair sticking to the furniture. My sectional is a grayish green color. I have washed the cushion covers a few times with no problems. Also, my dogs are not allowed on the couch but they do rest up against the bottom section and I have not noticed any hair stuck to it.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• The reason these answers vary so wildly is not only personal experience and variations in the way that it is used within a household, but also the fact that microfiber can be made from many different materials, just like carpet. The materials will differ in their durability and cleanability.

http://cleanfax.com/article.asp?IndexID=6636855

In my opinion, if you get a higher quality microfiber (I do NOT recommend rayon), it is a great choice for a home with kids and / or pets.

Anonymous