I need advice.. first time new mom!!!

my son is soon to be 3 weeks old! he sometimes eats 3 oz and still acts hungry and sometimes he only eats an oz or two ..... sometimes he eats 4 hours apart and sometimes its only two hours apart. How do I get him to eat regularly ??? also he stays awake at night for long periods of time help please how do i get him to sleep so i can!!!!

tiffandgene2009

Asked by tiffandgene2009 at 12:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he will develop a pattern eventually. If he acts hungry, give him more because you can't overfeed a baby. 3 weeks is kind of early to be getting a lot of hours between feedings. You could always try and keep him on a 3 or 4 hour schedule and wake him up to eat every 3 to 4 hours so maybe he will get in a habit of eating then and will eat more consistently.
    c_lotte1107

Answer by c_lotte1107 at 12:09 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Girl, I know this can be really tough. When I was nursing, both of my kids more or less "sucked the life out of me" what seemed to be 24/7. I cried for hours. I slept in tiny spurts. I was overwhelmed a lot of the time. It was borderline depressing. But now that I look back, I think as moms we have to give our babies all that they need in order for them to grow as healthy as they should. I am glad I stuck it out.

That aside...if it is just too much for you - I recommend this book. http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Sleep-Habits-Happy-Child/dp/0449004023 My girlfriend used it and got her son on a VERY regular schedule. It was shocking that it happened as I would have never though it to be possible. It might help you too.

Good luck hun.
    Cijaye

Answer by Cijaye at 12:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• the eating i dont think you can do anything about. sometimes hes going to be hungry more then others, & its going to happen when it does. as for sleeping, you should start a bed time routine. give him a warm bath, lotion, and a warm bottle before bed every night and when you feed him during the night, keep all the lights & tvs off and dont play, just feed and thats it. and then make the daytime feedings very bright, tv & noice & playing. my son started sleeping through the night at 3 months.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:12 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Every child is different, babies know when they are hungry and do not respond to food the way others might such as eating out of boredom or because it tastes good. As time goes on the baby with become more regular with eating. Sleeping boy do I know about this one, I have two that are still night owls to this day. The biggest thing that helped was them sleeping with me. However, if the child will sleep in their own bed let them. With mine once I laid them down they would cry and it would be back to the drawing board. While the doctor scolded me for them sleeping with me it was the only way that I could get any sleep. Also take the previous suggestions for preparing the baby for bed these were also things I had done. Though they did not work. Listen to your child and do what you feel is best.
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 12:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I am not help with the forumla since we never used any. About the sleep, you need to give the baby a break he's only 3 weeks old!! He wont be sleeping through the night anytime soon, so just nap during the day whenever he does so you catch up on sleep or you could try co-sleeping.
    stpalmsgirl

Answer by stpalmsgirl at 12:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Just keep feeding your baby on demand. You can't schedule babies this young. (Some people try, but they aren't doing their babies any favors by doing it) Your baby should be fed when he's hungry and sleep when he's tired. He'll eventually set his own schedule. Hang in there. It gets easier.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:37 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• i know he wont sleep through the night yet but he doesnt sleep much at all at night!!! he lies awake crying or grunting until i pick him up!
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• My daughter never really had a mix up of her days and nights. Maybe we just got lucky, I don't know. When she was younger sometimes when I would put her in her crib, which is in our bedroom, she would fuss or have the hiccups so I would usually take her in the living room and sleep on the chair with her on my chest so my husband could sleep since he has to go to work. I figured I could do this for a couple of months until she's at the age where she should be able to soothe herself, but around 4 or 5 weeks old, started going back to sleep pretty quickly during the night on her own. One thing I do that I think has really helped is I have night lights in the bathroom, the nursery, and the hallway. I have an LED lamp that is just barely brighter than the night light that shines on the changing table so I can see what I'm doing. So when we get up no bright lights are turned on at all. CONT.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Our middle of the night routine is this - I hear her waking up and if I need to pee really bad, I get up and do so, then I get her, change her diaper and then nurse her and then back to bed for both of us. Since you bottle feed, I would recommend having two or three bottles ready to go so that in the night you just get up change him and then feed him and he doesn't get upset while you are getting the bottle ready. If you need to warm it - I'm guessing by running under warm water? - you could put it in a small pot and run the water while you are changing him. I would recommend trying to get him to eat his formula cold so that you don't have to warm it up all the time. I would also put a night light in the kitchen if I were bottle feeding. Since I don't turn on any bright lights it helps me to go back to sleep quickly, too.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• They have different nutritional needs at different times of the day. You always want to feed on demand because it allows them to self-regulate which is good for their eating habits later in life.
    As for sleep... what are you trying to put him to sleep? Rocking, singing, slinging? Some kids don't like to be put down, have you tried co-sleeping?

If I may ask... is there a reason you aren't nursing? Because that will go a long way to solve both of your concerns. First, baby takes as much as they want, whenever they want... you never have to even think about how much they will take. Second, nursing releases hormones to help babies sleep and milk made at night contain substances also geared towards helping baby sleep. You can nurse him laying down in your bed and both get plenty of sleep.

If you're interested in nursing, it's still very possible for you. Join the breastfeeding moms group, they will help you.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2009