baby food?

my baby is almost 3 months old and has a huge appetite is now ok to start like 1st foods or is she too young?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Please read this : http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html Your baby is WAY to young.

The above article explains how early introduction of solids can harm your baby.

All these health organizations say you should wait AT LEAST 6 months before introducing solids: World Health Organization, UNICEF, US Department of Health & Human Services, American Academy of Pediatrics, American Academy of Family Physicians,and American Dietetic Association.

Your baby is probably going through a growth spurt.  Just keep nursing on demand or feeding formula.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I started my oldest at that age. My youngest wasn't ready yet. I don't buy into this whole starting solids early is harmful crap. Do what you think is best.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Purpleducky, other than the fact that you "don't buy into this whole starting solids early is harmful crap," do you have anything useful to add? Perhaps you'd like to site evidence based articles, studies, etc. that support your opinion. I would LOVE to see them.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I don't keep websites. However, there have been numerous articles coming out yet in medical journals stating that it is actually due to the waiting to start solids that has caused the sharp increase in food allergies and their severity.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:56 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Uh, huh. Well I'm sure you could find them then, if they are so numerous.... But since you haven't shared those articles here how are we to know that the articles are sound? Are they peer reviewed?

I wonder why NO major health organizations seem to share your opinion. If those articles were based on good scientific evidence I'm sure it would have gotten their attention.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 1:04 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• trust your instincts...if your baby is constantly hungry, give him or her solids...remember that all of us were fed solids BEFORE six months and there isnt much wrong with us is there ? i started my son at 3 and a half months and he still takes the amount of formula that he is supposed to take for his age. he is perfectly healthy.
    denisekeene

Answer by denisekeene at 1:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• A huge appetite is normal at that age. It's a growth spurt. They need breastmilk/formula. If a baby still has a tongue thrus reflex, can't sit unsupported, and you have to liquefy the food in order to by pass the reflex, they are far too young for solids.

Six months is about the age babies can sample solid food for fun NOT nutrition. Food before 1 is just for fun. And it does not require overpriced overprocessed jar food.
    http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• QUOTE: "trust your instincts...if your baby is constantly hungry, give him or her solids...remember that all of us were fed solids BEFORE six months and there isnt much wrong with us is there ? i started my son at 3 and a half months and he still takes the amount of formula that he is supposed to take for his age. he is perfectly healthy. "

What about the rampaging epidemic of obeseity, diabetes, eating disorders and all the multitude of other ailments due to poor diet and diet choices? A baby fed purees has no choice but to swallow it even though they are designed to reject anything but liquid milk.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:12 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• look at the diets of our 2 and 3 year olds. the fast foods and the sodas candys and chips that america is feeding her children are more of a culprit...home cook your meals and excerise will help avoid obesity for your children. my son is exactly the weight he is supposed to be and hes been eating solids for 3 months now.
    denisekeene

Answer by denisekeene at 1:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Denisekeene, enough time has not passed for you to see if there are any lasting negative effects caused by introducing solids so early. Things like diabetes, allergies, obesity, etc can crop up YEARS later. It's only been 3 months in your case.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 1:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2009