castor oil...

how long does castor oil stay visable in your urine? when i tried it with my DD, it did put me into labor (without the diareah side effect-thank goodness!) but the hospital imediately asked me (after having me pee in a cup) "did you use castor oil"? i answered yes and they said they could tell. then i was lectured for it (even though my OB suggested trying it. the on call dr was a dick) anyways. i dont want to hear anyone say anything about it if i decide to try it again with this baby, and was just curious how long it says visable in your urine, or how long its obvious to them that i took it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm sorry the on call doctor wasnt supportive about Castor Oil but read this and you'll see why: This was posted in one of my groups: 2 months ago a friend of one of my best friends tried to self induce at 40.5 weeks using castor oil at the suggestion of a mid wife and the results were catastrophic. The castor oil did indeed help her go into labor, but it caused severe fetal distress and the doctors were unable to find a heart beat by the time she reached the hospital. Her baby was still born. The results of the autopsy confirmed that the castor oil induction was the cause of the fetal distress in an otherwise completely healthy fetus. It was a tragic loss and the poor girl blames herself for blindly following the advice of the mid wife and not doing any research on her own. NOW: You want to risk that?!? Just because YOUR uncomfortable?
    Anonymous

• Ditto to the first person. Pregnancy isn't easy, just suck it up and quit being selfish.

Anonymous

• never heard, nor do i think i believe, that castor oil would be the case of a baby dying! maybe if the women took entirely too much! but taking the reccomended amount, would not all of a sudden put the baby at that much stress s/he would die!

OP-i dont know how long it takes for them to not be able to see the oil any more. but i dont think youre selfish for trying. its no different then being medically induced. sometimes the baby just needs a little help. atleast your considering a more natural approach instead of going straight to drugs. ive heard bad horror stories about pitocin and other induction drugs that were actually true. ive never heard of anything bad about castor oil (unless the women took too much) except maybe that it didnt work, or all it did was cause diareah. thats the worst ive ever heard
    miss_hughes

Answer by miss_hughes at 9:13 PM on Dec. 4, 2009