My son's name is Franklin, can I name my 2nd son Theodore, or would they get teased? (Think Roosevelts)

Well obviously I *can* but do you think they would get made fun of?

We aren't particularly fans of Roosevelts I just like very few boy names and I like the names Franklin, Theodore, Lewis, and Perry. lol. I can't think of any others I like! Well I do also like the idea of naming a boy Jason after DH and calling him Sonny but DH says NO!.

=) thanks and yes i've asked this a few times but this is really driving me crazy because i have to think of a name early to convince my husband. he admits that he hates all names and it takes him months to get to like one. so basically i have to choose one and then get him to come around to it over time ;)

Do you think everyone would notice, or that it wouldn't be a big deal?

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The challenge with having 2 sons with names Franklin and Theodore is the obvious connect people might make to Alvin and the Chipmunks. BUT....there is a possibility that your sons could be just as adorable and it would be a fantastic comparison... I guess in the end it's all about how confident you are that everything will be okay and if it isn't - how to have the conversation that being made fun of is VERY common for all children and nothing to worry about.

Best of luck to you.
    Cijaye

Answer by Cijaye at 12:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• There's no Franklin in the Chipmunks so I am not even sure why anyone would make a connection between Franklin & Theodore and the Chipmunks. The Chipmunks are Simon, Alvin and Theodore. As far as naming a 2nd son Theodore....I don't think that there'd be any teasing. Most people won't make the connection, especially if you call him Theo or Ted for short. I like your name chooses. Very traditional and not trendy at all.
    Anonymous

• thanks! actually when i was pregnant with my first, i liked theodore, but my husband said no because the chipmunks movie had just come out in 2007 (my son's bday is 10/08/07)! yeah but i agree that franklin doesn't really fit with that ;) i think we would want to call him theo although my SIL loooooves Ted. ;)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:59 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• How about using those as middle names? Using either first or middle names of Franklin and Theodore, maybe Allen or Allan or Robert? William? Brayden or Braydon?

Isn't almost traumatic to choose a name, what a pain - I remember!! lol whatever you choose baby will fit that name perfectly!!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• yes Ifl, my husband says it's the worst thing he's ever had to do. lol. he's exaggerating. that would be a blessed life to have naming your child be the worst thing in your life. lol. but i do agree with him and you that it can be a very tough and stressful decision! still now i worry what if my son franklin gets made fun of for not being a jacob or aiden or something more common. *sigh* we thought about naming him david, but now i think david would be 100% wrong for him :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Maybe a little, but only by kids sharp enough to get the reference while it flies over the heads of dumb bullies.
    staciejung

Answer by staciejung at 1:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Name YOUR CHILD whatever YOU please. He is your child plain and simple. I see no reason why your kids would be teased at all. Go for it! I think those are very nice names by the way!
    Anonymous

• I say use the names you want. Theodore is a GREAT name. It's strong, noble, and wise.

I would think it weird to be in my SIL's place. She and her best friend were pregnant at the same time, and my SIL had a little girl in September, naming her Scarlett. Her friend liked the name so much, that when she gave birth in October, she named HER little girl Scarlett too!

I also know that Jerry and Janice had Jeremy, Jason, Joseph, and Janae. Jeremy had Jackson and Jeremiah, Jason had Jai-Lyn and Jo-Lee, Joseph has Joseph, Joshua, Jonathan, and Jacob, and Janae swears she's not having kids.

Look at the Duggars too...
    Joshua, Jana, John-David, Jill, Jessa, Jinger, Joseph, Josiah, Joy-Anna, Jedidiah, Jeremiah, Jason, James, Justin, Jackson, Johanna, Jennifer, Jordyn-Grace, and anothere on the way. Sheesh.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• yes they would be teased.
    Anonymous

• haha thanks for the comments =) i know a lot who do the same first letter thing. i just think there are so few good names to start that i don't want to restrict myself to one letter. ;)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2009