Atheist taint on Charlie Brown?

Disclaimer: I'm in the south. I have personally experienced what I am about to describe in here. I am in no way saying all christians are this way. This is just for lively discussion.

A TN mayor has posted on his Facebook that Obama preempted Charlie Brown because it is a christian show. On a post about this I mentioned that Charles Schultz was an atheist. He de-converted years ago. Now in my offline life, many times when people discover I am a heathen, it automatically makes everything I have ever said or done suspect, and some have even said that having been around me without knowing that has put their immortal soul in danger -- because, you know, I'm a devil-worshiper and stuff for not believing in their god. On the other hand, I have seen many christians here defend debunked emails with the idea that lies told for god are perfectly acceptable (please read first (I hope) reply box BEFORE answering...con't)

roachiesmom

Asked by roachiesmom at 12:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• They are all like -- "Ooooh, the message is good, and could lead someone to god; who cares if it's not really true?"

So, opinions? Is the value of the message more important than the belief system (or honesty, as the case may apply in my examples) of the creator, or does that taint it in any way? Does it change anyone's thoughts on Schultz and his work to know he defected to the Dark Side?

Keep in mind I LOVE Charlie Brown, and have always been a big fan. This is not bashing Schultz, CB, or even christians.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 12:48 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• whats your point?
    Anonymous

• Why can't cartoons just remain for entertainment instead of 'saying' something? And along with Anon. I don't understand where you are going with this...
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I still like Charlie Brown.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• A. The TN mayor has every right to say,, think or right this

B.You have every right to disagree

C. I am not sure, and I do not care) if the guy converted before or after he started writing his cartoons

D. I see no religious message at all in a show where a kids mouth is as big as a football and adults can't talk anything more than trumpets.

E. What is it you are asking? it seems like a post just to start an argument in disguise of a lively conversation.
    Anonymous

ooo that should say "write" this. I know most people will get what I meant to say but you know there will be at least one lonely housewife that has nothing better to do than grade internet sites for perfect spelling.

The rest of us just drop a few lines between real life activities.
    Anonymous

• The religious part is a monolog by Linus at the end. The rest is just kid stuff. That ending has a very strong message which I love, but if you prefer to skip over it and enjoy the show go ahead. Now what was your point?
    Anonymous

• Oh for Bob's sake, why can't there just be a theoretical discussion? I still liked Charlie Brown even when I thought Schultz was a christian. I'm saying there are people in my town (and throughout the south) who get all freaked out and bent if they find out someone does not believe in god. Then they take everything that person has ever said and done and suddenly regard it in a capacity of atheist taint. I'm all for cartoons just being cartoons, in fact I'm usually the first to say that, I just was curious about this in light of reactions I know it would get offline, and the way some people are freaking out over what that mayor said I just thought it had potential as a topic. The point of discussion was made perfectly clear in the first post.

Thank you, RyansMom (I'm a mom to a Ryan, too :O))
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 1:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• BTW I don't care what BO does. I have it on tape and can watch it any time.
    Anonymous

• still not getting your point

are you upset the Mayor has a right to speak?
    Anonymous