Does anyone here have a son in wrestling in high school?

I would like to know if there are any tips or points of concern/caution you may want to share? Either on the Mom side or son side is much appreciated. My son is a freshman and is new to the sport altogether. Thank you for your input.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I am going to be very honest with you. I feel this is the worst sport your son could possibly do. Its in no way a team support. (the only thing that is team realated, is these kids are starving) I almost lost my son to suicide over 3lbs. I will tell you watch if they are jumping on off the scale a couple times a day. Not eating. Become very withdrawn from family. Its already to late, they loose their head before your able to help, remember they are teenagers need space . If indeed, they actually like the sport you yourself will have more aniexity than your son. How many sports do you know that mentions your weight over a loud speaker to hundreds of spectators. (How would you like it?). Talk to the coach and your a over protective mom. Its your sons decision weather he wants to weather the hell. For myself, I wish he would give it up and he wont. My only sanity is my son win or loose wears his cross after each meet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• We are middle school wrestling but share our coach with our high school.He had a joint parents meeting and emphasized not to get caught up in the weight yo-yo.He felt that is the most important thing .That many injuries come from wrestlers starving to drop a class but being heaviest in that class.This leads to early muscle fatigue,not clear headed,actually causes muscles to become damaged easier and have a harder time healing.His advice was to move to the top of your class by eating healthy and building muscle which weighs more.Oh he had a tip for healthy eating have a piece of pizza or cake or whatever then drink a full glass of water before eating the second piece .Good luck and message me if you get any great tips.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 4:42 PM on Dec. 4, 2009