How do you think Mary gave birth?

With some of the outrage the "sexy" nativity post is generating, and the baby allegedly at Mary's crotch (he is actually apparently just in her lap) I wanted to explore this further. If the baby were at her crotch in this, um, how do you (outraged) people think Jesus was born, anyway? Some special method? An Immaculate Birth to go with the Immaculate Conception? Do people really think Mary did not labor and give birth as others did at that time? Or does it actually say somewhere in the bible she was exempt from the birth curse because of her status as Holy Mother? Exempt should probably just mean painless, at best...not that she did not give birth in the regular way of expelling the fetus from her uterus.

So, how did Mary give birth to Jesus? If she did so in the standard way, do you think it is "disrespectful" to show her in this capacity? If so, does that cheapen the experience for all other mothers?

roachiesmom

Asked by roachiesmom at 1:04 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Do you have a link to what you are referring to? I'm clueless about this one.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I'm pretty sure it wasn't by c-section. Where is the link? What did I miss? What are you talking about?
    Anonymous

• Maybe the stork brought him? LOL. So what's with the controversial site? I bet back when Jesus was born they were so uptight they couldn't bear to admit a girl was pregnant and unmarried so they made up the story about the Virgin birth. JMO. Sorry,but it could be!!!
    Anonymous

• She gave birth just like I did, through the birth canal. I will not display my child entering into the world for all to see as I think that is disrespectful to my child and me.

I had surgery before, but you don't see me posting my open belly for all to see.

Now that my child is born I do not place her in my "crotch" and I do not post photographs that would look obscene.
    Anonymous

• for the record, the pictures that you are referring to does not show Mary giving birth. It shows a dummy dressed in a white dress with a baby on her lap.
    Anonymous

• Since you asked (although you didn't actually ask me since I'm not outraged) Jesus was born in the usual way in the privacy of a barn surrounded by animals to keep her warm. The barn was probably not made of wood, but a cave. And the wise men didn't show up for a couple of years. The shepards found him wrapped in swaddling clothes. The didn't witness the birth. She only had Joseph and probably some angles to help her out during labor. There is no mention of a midwife.

Anonymous

• Ok no need to vent out of shape. Mary wasn't a virgin. She conceived her child the same old fashion way. She gave birth exactly like any other woman at that time through her birth canal.

You can believe whatever you want and I will respect it. In the same token, I choose to be more analytical. What are the chances that the fairy tale of JC conception took place? None, it is fictitious, probably invented by Mary's parents to save face and not to accept that Mary was a slut. Also that Joseph dude, a very gullible man to say the least. And JC will live forever in the believer's minds right next to the pink unicorn and the spaghetti monster.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 1:43 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Well, here is a link to the post here in answers -- http://www.cafemom.com/answers/339967/SEXY_NATIVITY_DISPLAY_Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh  Her link about the picture just leads to the store website.  I will look for something more about the window display itself.

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 1:57 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Anonymous

for the record, the pictures that you are referring to does not show Mary giving birth. It shows a dummy dressed in a white dress with a baby on her lap.

What part of "in her lap" did you miss on the first reading" And why would ANYONE assume that a nativity recreation would involve the real Mary rather than a representational figure (okay, or possibly someone dressed up.) It really seems ridiculous to have to specify it was not really Mary.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 2:00 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• bebita

Ok no need to vent out of shape. Mary wasn't a virgin. She conceived her child the same old fashion way. She gave birth exactly like any other woman at that time through her birth canal.

~~~~~~
    That's always been my take on it, too.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 2:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2009