Does Anyone Here Have a Son in High School Wrestling?

I would like to know if there are any tips or points of concern/caution you may want to share? Either on the Mom side or son side is much appreciated. My son is a freshman and is new to the sport altogether. Thank you for your input.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• My brother was on the freshman wrestling team in high school. He was never really good (he had never wrestled before high school) so he never made the meets but learned to keep score and worked out with the team.
    And then during practice one afternoon he got slammed to the edge of the mat and his arm landed on the hardwood and he broke his wrist. The coach sent him to the nurse and she wrapped him up (not knowing it was broken) and the coach told him to suck it up.
    He ended up taking the bus home (city bus which takes about 40 minutes) carrying his school bag and his gym bag with a broken wrist. My parents then had to take him to the hospital. He was in a cast for several months and never wrestled again (that's when he learned to keep score). He didn't join the team the next year.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2009