Does Anyone Here Have a Son in High School Wrestling?

I would like to know if there are any tips or points of concern/caution you may want to share? Either on the Mom side or son side is much appreciated. My son is a freshman and is new to the sport altogether. Thank you for your input.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Health

• Not from a mom...but ive dated wrestlers...be careful with the whole making weight thing. It can be really scary to witness someone have to lose 5 pounds in one day....I hate this sport....its hard on the body....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I agree with above poster. I remember boys in high school jogging in garbage bags to sweat and carrying a cup with them all day to spit into so they didn't have to swallow all day. They did not eat in order to make weight. It was extremely unhealthy. Then they would pig out the next day.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I remember seeing my cousin and some classmates trying to lose weight to make weight. They would pile on sweatshirt and run laps around the school to sweat off as much as they could. They would suck on candy and spit so as not to add "water weight". I would just suggest having your son try to wrestle at a weight he can comfortably make and keep your eye on him yourself. Eating disorders happen in boys, too, and he can easlily become obsessed with it. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2009