Do you know the actual reasons for things we do at christmas, such as put up a tree?

I was raised in church, but now I am wondering why we do certain things. I saw on the history channel that christmas started out as a pagan holiday. So why are we taking on pagan traditions? I am curious, not putting Christmas down, i want to learn the history of it and actually know what I am doing is right in God's eyes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Many symbols started out in the pagan tradition. (like eating food for nutrients for example. Pagans did this before Christians, yet Christians like to do that as well)

the reason why Christians put up trees will be different from the reason why atheist and/or pagans put up trees in some cases.

Personally I put up a tree because it is pretty. I leave the reason for MY season in Church.
    Anonymous

• trees and wreaths come from the Pagan tradition. basically to celebrate the winter solstice
    Anonymous

• And yet Martin Luther put up a tree. Remember that the History Channel is controlled by non-Christians, and they do a good job a raising doubts.  Learn all you can, but consider the source.

Anonymous

• There isn't anything new under the sun. The Christmas holiday makes use of many symbols, themes, etc. of holidays that predated Christianity, like all holidays draw from holidays that came before them. Bringing in a tree celebrates continued life. For Pagans that can mean continued life of the Sun, living creatures, or may represent reincarnation. For Christians it may represent continued life in Heaven thanks to Christ. It is important to know the history of things you do, but just as important as the history is what these things mean to you NOW. If you want to know how your God feels about your traditions, pray about it (ask him). Based on the history of Christianity it seems that most of your Christian forefathers believed God felt it was acceptable to absorb traditions from Pre-Christian holidays.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:42 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ and recalls that God became human (Incarnation). That's not a pagan belief so Christmas isn't a pagan holiday. Pagans celebrate other holidays, and the date for Christmas was probably choosen in part to provide a Christian alternative to pagan holidays - but that doesn't make the Christmas holiday pagan.

There's nothing intrinsicly 'pagan' about a tree - God created it. Because pre-Christians used it as a symbol doesn't "contaminate" it so that Christians can't use it now. That makes no sense to me. So yes I know the "actual reason" I put up a Christmas tree - it's a family tradition, it looks nice and is fun to decorate, it's a reminder of everlasting life through Jesus Christ. We drive our car to the park for the local lights display (pretty sure ancient pagans didn't do that). But if those things were taken away - it doesn't take away Christmas.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Anon 1:39 I'd LOVE to see your source for the claim that the History Channel is run by non-christians...lol.
    Anonymous

• There are many prechristian holidays that were celebrated in December and many traditions can be traced back before Christianity including Pagan and many non religious traditions. I celebrate Christmas. In our house we celebrate the birth of Christ. There are many Christian symbols and traditions that we follow, and we talk and read about Jesus. For others its different. Christmas is what you decide to focus on in your home, in our home its Jesus.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:31 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• like eating food for nutrients for example. Pagans did this before Christians, yet Christians like to do that as well

so God didnt put the fruit trees for Adam and Eve to eat from?
    Anonymous

• Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ and recalls that God became human (Incarnation). That's not a pagan belief so Christmas isn't a pagan holiday.

Jesus wasnt born on Dec 25. and God sent down his son to earth, he didnt send himself down. yes, xmas is a pagan holiday.
    Anonymous

• There's nothing intrinsicly 'pagan' about a tree - God created it. Because pre-Christians used it as a symbol doesn't "contaminate" it so that Christians can't use it now. That makes no sense to me. So yes I know the "actual reason" I put up a Christmas tree - it's a family tradition, it looks nice and is fun to decorate, it's a reminder of everlasting life through Jesus Christ. We drive our car to the park for the local lights display (pretty sure ancient pagans didn't do that). But if those things were taken away - it doesn't take away Christmas.

Just an excuse to celebrate xmas w/o feeling guilty that your celebrating a pagan holiday and still call yourself christian.
    Anonymous