Another disapointment at the Docs Office!!!!

Okay this has been my 3rd ultrasound all together my second for trying to do the anatomy scan...and they found most of the organs they needed, still cant see the gender, and i dont think they found all the limbs they needed either! I got ONE lousy picture of what is supposed to be the face but its so distorted and stretched out that i wouldve rather left empty handed. Now my problem....I may have ITP (bleeding disorder)...They only want to do blood work on me 1 or 2 more times (im 20 weeks), They wanna do another ultrasound in 3 weeks. But im in the process of switching docs. Can i call the new office and see if they will do the ultrasound. Or is it common practice for a new office to give you one automatically? I dont wanna miss out on seeing the sex. But i do want out of this awful OBGYN. They havent even measured my tummy or touched to see the babys size and im halfway done!!!!! AAHHH im so frustrated. i could CRY!

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Good for you for doing changing docs when pregnant!!!! I did that too a long time ago - my third pregnancy the ob scratched my privates with her fingernail - it was freakin long!!!!!! OWWWWWCH!!!! Plus the hospital where my first baby was born 8 years before than didn't change in 8 years and still didn't give parents ultrasound pictures!!!! So I changed too and got a doctor who cared about my concerns and didn't mind my 24/7 worry of possible breast cancer and pregnancy start soon after a ruptured ovarian cyst!!!! It was a really scary time and I wanted the best and to be nurtured. You deserve that Mommy!!!! I do agree with Jademom07 - with all three of our kids we had them all be surprises of sex at birth ---- it made delivery even more exciting to find out if we were right or wrong!!!! The day before my last baby was born my ultraound tech wanted to give us the sex but we still said no even the day before!!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Hugs girlfriend! You can call and ask the new doc but maybe little one wants to keep it a surprise even for you. That says a lot about how baby will be when born. *wink*
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• call the new office explain whats going on, tell them you are concerned with not seeing all the limbs and organs ask them if they will do another ultrasound. I'm sure if you explain it all to them you can work something out with them. good luck.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 1:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• at 20 weeks they cant find anything? i would get a new doc or ultrasound tech. sounds like they dont know what they are doing.
    Anonymous

• Ok about measuring your belly... it is it TOTALLY normal to NOT take a measurement until after 20 weeks. I have been pregnant 3 times with 3 different providers and none of them measured my uterus until my appt following 20 weeks.

As for not finding the gender... there is no specific reason the gender is needed to be found. I am a mommy that chooses to find out my baby's gender but it isnt a basic part of the ananomy scan. How do you know for sure they didnt find all of the limbs? They probably did but just didnt point them out.

About the picture... I got crappy pictures the last u/s (19 weeks) but its not the end of the world. The point of the u/s is NOT for you to see your baby, its for the tech to get measurements and to check the fluid level and some of the organ functions of the baby.

Lastly, your future blood draws... I only needed 1 more blood draw after 20 weeks so 1-2 sounds normal to me
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• The new doctor will do whatever you ask them to do. And I'm sure they will do it rather you ask or not..Also is it possible that you may not be as far along as they think you are? It could be one of the reason they are not finding what they are looking for. When I found out the sex of my baby you could clearly tell that it was boy! And you can make out the shape of their body parts and thats pretty much it. And that is only if he is moved in the right direction....Good luck with your new doctor and congrats on the new baby!

smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• And not touching to see the babies size... there is no point at 20 weeks! At 20 weeks they cant even feel every part of the baby. Yes, they can tell where the baby is by pushing on your belly (assuming you arent heavy set) but it doesnt mean anything nor does it tell them anything!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice..i was concerened about the blood draws because of the probability that i have ITP....This is a new office for me..my last doc wasnt accepting my insurance when i got preg. again...i guess in comparing the two i got worried...the first time around the doc was hands on and very personable....now i wait forever to hear looks good and i dont get how something can look good if you dont look for anything lol....guess because i have no complaints...Thanks again!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Before 20 weeks "looks good" means your BP is fine, your weight is ok and they should be checking your urine. That is all they do before that point. Your next appt should include a uterine measurement but thats the only difference between previous appts & future appointments.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• The last test you "need" (some ladies pass on everything but I personally do what the doctors suggest) will be your GD test at about 26 weeks. Assuming that comes back fine, and you have no other complications, you shouldnt need any other blood draw after that
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2009