Is this unhealthy or just a new style of parenting?

I am seriously asking because this is new to me, I've never heard of anyone I know doing this and IMO I think it's crazy.

My friend has an 20 month old and since the day he was born she has slept with him while her husband sleeps on the couch, she NEVER lets him cry or be upset, if he starts she holds him, Just in general he has to almost always be held, she continues to breast feed even though the doctor told her the baby's teeth were rotting (she doesn't like to do solid foods). She never lets anyone else hold him, and she plans on home schooling because she doesn't want him to socilize with other kids.

Opinions???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think she is going to end up divorced living with her 40 year old virgin son with rotted teeth.
    lovetwins89

Answer by lovetwins89 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• i believe that this is unhealthy....i have a six month old and i surely dont pick him up every time he cries...i let him fuss for about 10 minutes before i go to him as long as its nothing urgent. the only time i ran to him was when he was sick for a few days. it also isnt normal so solely breastfeed a child of 20 months. and to not allow socialization is wierd too....however, i dont know her so i cant judge her. bu tive never heard of this either.
    denisekeene

Answer by denisekeene at 1:20 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I think the kid is going to grow up to be like Norman Bates....
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• yikes sounds like she has seperation issues...this child is going to be one wierd adult....
    Anonymous

• Well my youngest child is now 14, so I may be out of the loop on the new parenting styles....but IMO, this seems alittle obsessive, and encouraging the child to be overly dependent on the mom. I think this child will end up being very hard to tell with as he/she gets older, even as a 2 or 3 year old. They become pretty demanding at that age. This child will never get over where they think the world revolves around them. He will never realize that he is seperate from the mother. IMO..this doesn't seem like the best plan.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 1:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Well co-sleeping is no problem, but to have the hubby sleep on the couch, no I don't think so. My kids slept with us for a little bit and then in a bassinet or portable crinb in our room for a while till we moved em to their room. Now we did put them down and honestly, I think they have to learn to soothe themselves, so crying's okay. Picking him up all the time especially now, is doing him a great injustice IMO. Homeschooling's great if done for good reason. If she's doing it just because she doesn't want him to socialize? well, that can be bad for him. Does he never go around ANY other kids at all? Talk about a sheltered life! Now as far as breastfeeding it's great as long as a mom wants to do it and as long as the child wants to, well into toddlerhood, but to not even feed him other food, well that's doing him a diservice right there I think... he needs to learn to eat other things too. Well there is my 2 cents.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Call CPS services the woman is a nut case. It reminds me about a movie of an obsessive mother who wouldn't let her child grow. She need a psyc evaluation in my opinion and her husband needs to grow a back bone.

Children need to be able to separate from their mothers. Is she planning of been eternal?
    Children need to be able to eat solid foods. Is she planning on bf till when?
    Children need to be able to suit themselves to sleep. Is she planning on never allowing him to sleep alone?
    Children need socialization with peers. Is she planning on raising him in the moon or something?

There is so much wrong with what I read, I am concern for the poor kid with such a "needy" mom. It seems as if she is doing all these things to make herself feel needed not because it is the best thing for her child. Having said that, she may be a new mom and needs time to adjust to her changing baby, some support will go along way.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 1:28 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Wow, will that baby ever have a strong digestive system without having eating solid foods and being almost 2???
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:31 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• CPS, seriously...the situation could be much worse....she needs to give the child food..but unless he is malnurished..no reason to call anybody..she will regret what shes doing to her marriage and her child at some point in time...like when she cant pee without her child screaming that they want mommy!!!
    Anonymous

• I agree with a lot of mom2boyzndad has said. I let my children cry for awhile, but when it came to sleeping on their own I had two that every time I laid them in their crib they would cry. I tried the let them cry themselves to sleep, but these two were too stubborn for that and I don't think letting a child cry for thirty or more minutes is healthy. I have heard of others who did this, but said that after about ten fifteen minutes the child was asleep. The father of my children was a truck driver and asked that as long as one of the children was sleeping with me I sleep on the couch. I did and neither one of us had a problem with it, so if they don't let it go. The other things she is doing is not healthy for her child some one needs to say something.
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 1:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2009