Is it healthy to not have a period (ex: birth control that makes it stop)?

I HATE my period! It makes me bitchy and I get zits all over my face. When I've taken hormones in the past, my boobs get bigger, my mood is better, and my face is clearer. I would love to take something that makes me not have a period, but like twice a year, but I just wonder how safe that is. I've had my tubes tied, so I dont really need birth control. I just hate having a cycle!!!! What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Health

• There are a few out there but I wouldn't trust them.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Some birth controls can help with that. Talk to your doc. Ask them about when you are taking the pill if you can take it straight through for 2 or 3 months, no period, and then go off it to have a period. I have heard with some pills this can be safe to do, but make sure to check with your doc first and find out which is best for hormones and to help clear up skin and such. GL~
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:43 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• well since you know you dont want more kids since your tubes are tied, it is harmless. having a period is only essential if you want to get pregnant. for some women that go on bc that makes the cycle stop, it may be harder for them to become pregnant when they go off of it, simply because it may take a while for a normal cycle to return.

i didnt have an actual period the entire time i had mirena, and was pregnant w in 3 months of removing it.

you really have nothing to worry about.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 1:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• i know that the shot eventually makes it so your period stops.. thats after a few months tho. my friend is on the pills where she gets her cycle 4 times a year. she has the same problems as you do and so far, she's fine.

as for just not having your period- it depends on whether its healthy or not. for me- i have PCOS, cysts on the ovaries. this year alone, i went 9 months without a period. i had to have an ultrasound to check my uterus (i think..? where ever the blood collects and sheds from. lol). usually when you miss a period, the blood just collects there and after a while, it can get cancerous. but as long as the uterus wall is in its normal size (like its not thicker), then you'll be fine. but the thicker it is, it can eventually lead to cancer cuz the body wont dispose of the "bad blood" aka the period. as long as you have a period every few months, i dont think it matters. i went 9 months and i'm fine
    Anonymous

• i'd try mirena, i never had a period on it...the pills that make you have a period only a few times a year i think are a little dangerous, there are mass lawsuits against them i think...i could be wrong though.
    Anonymous

• i use quansense and have started to gain weight (UGH) but i love rarely having a period and it being really light.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• yaz had a lawsiut against it btw, and they orignally made bc with only four periods a year and decided women would like having a monthly one bc they were used to that. which is why it's a 28 day cycle (like the typical cycle) and so these monophasic bc are just as trust-worthy as anything else on the market bc they use some of the same hormones but no as many as tri-phasic pills do.there is one on the market that allows only period a year. i haven't tried it.
    Anonymous