Ok...so my one-year-old son is going to bed later and later each night and ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY.

Ok...so my one-year-old son is going to bed later and later each night and ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY. He use to go to sleep around 10pm, Now, he doesnt fall asleep until midnight. If he isnt going to be until midnight, then I can never get anything done now because I go to bed at midnight. How on earth do I get him to fall asleep earlier, like 9pm???? He wakes up every morning around 8am, takes a nap from 12-2, then tries to take another nap around 5pm, which I only allow 15-20 minutes. I tried to cut it out, but he just wasnt having it. Not sure what else to do at this point. Also, he will not fall asleep in his crib, never did. He was sick for a while when he was younger and use to sleep with us in bed. He now sleeps on his crib mattress on our floor.

Theresa2674

Asked by Theresa2674 at 12:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try harder to cut out that evening nap. keep him up till 1 or 2 and let him sleep then. It is 10 and my LO just went to bed. He woke up this morning at about 9, took a nap at 2:30 till about 4. Just try to get him back into the routine. They go through growth spurts where they get their eating and sleeping schedules all off. it'll just take a little while.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 1:20 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• My guess is that he's overtired. When a toddler gets too tired, he WON'T go to sleep. He's in too much pain, too wired to calm down, relax, and sleep.

He needs 12 to 14 hours of sleep each day - including naps and overnight hours. If he takes a 2 hour nap, that still leaves 10 to 12 hours of nighttime sleep.

Pick a bedtime that will give him the sleep he needs (my 23 month old goes to bed at 7:15, gets up at 7am) Get him into his own room, safe in his crib, and leave him. Yes, he will cry. That's because he's not getting his way. Will you give him sweets when he throws a fit for them? Of course not. This is the same type of fit. You are the parent. It's up to you to make him do the things that are good for him that he doesn't want to do - bedtime, vegetables, homework, the list is endless.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• stop letting him sleep in the afternoon for so long maybe then he will go to sleep earlier in the night had to do that with 2 of my sons.
    sunshinex8

Answer by sunshinex8 at 3:02 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Try the following: Epsom Salt Baths at night or stick his feet in a bucket of 1 to 2 cups Epsom Salts. It provides magnesium which helps relax him and my kids sleep great after a bath. Be sure to put on lotion afterwards because the salts can be drying.

Also a natural sleep aid is CalmsForte for children by Hylands. the tiny pills are taken under the tongue and disapate fast. They do not taste bad at all and my children get them on nights they are having trouble sleeping. Exercise during the day really helps too to wear them out. Eileen
    EileenMarie

Answer by EileenMarie at 11:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• well.. this is obviously not the baby's fault. You have done this since he was a newborn. First move that matress to a separate room. Take baby steps, maybe at first it will be at 12am. but atleast in his own room, after that, Move the time closer every day. Not by much.

And remember children love consistency, they like it when they know what's coming next. Get in a routine thats predictable to him. Also, cut out the 15-20 min nap in the late afternoon.
    newmommyy322

Answer by newmommyy322 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• babies get older they dont need as much sleep as they did when they were younger try playing really hard see if that tires him out
    fishersmom06

Answer by fishersmom06 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• It sound to me like you need a routine after he wakes up from his nap give a snack or lunch and play with him take him out the house let him burn off that energy then around the time you want him to go to bed give him a bath put on his pjs put him in his bed read to him or sing to him kiss him goodnight and walk away it worked for me my daughter sleeps from 8pm to 8am
    trying2staysane

Answer by trying2staysane at 9:51 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• routines do help. I didn't have one a couple of months ago with dd but i had to get one. she was doing the same thing your son was and it was so hard on me. I started winding us down at 6 with dinner.then reading to her,putting her jammies on around 7ish. then i tell her, i love you and it's time for bed. I still have to sit in front of her in the floor when i put her down.for about 5 min. she still fights me and tries to get up. i just keep telling her, no it's time for sleep. you lay down. i cover her and make her very warm and then about 5 minutes later she's out.It will work,you just have to find a routine that works for you and stick with it.good luck.
    karrey

Answer by karrey at 4:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2008