Christians: Are there any Christians who were formerly pagan and/or atheists?

I see so many pagans/atheists etc. who were once Christians but left Christianity... so I want to know how many Christians were once atheists and/or pagan. Also, what was it that made you decide to turn to God and accept Jesus and become a Christian.

Please no bashing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i obviously worded this incorrectly because i've only gotten answers that bash and answers from pagans and 1 catholic. closing this one out and will try to word it differently.
    Anonymous

• Pagans never say they don't believe in God or that Jesus existed, they simply believe that God is both in male form and female form and in everything living around us. Jesus was a man, a human being, not a god and no more the "son of God" than any other human being such as you or I.

I used to use the term "Pagan" to describe my personal beliefs, I don't use that term anymore but many of those beliefs are still with me, I just evolved to a belief that is more accurately described as a "Gnostic Christian" Yes I believe in God, but I also believe in a Goddess. Yes I believe in my heart Jesus was a human being and alive and a wonderful man and teacher, but still just a man.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Pagans never say they don't believe in God or that Jesus existed, they simply believe that God is both in male form and female form and in everything living around us.

That is hardly accurate. You speak for yourself, not all Pagans. Pagan is not a religion unto itself. It's a blanket term used to describe anyone not Christian, Jewish or Muslim.
    Anonymous

• You're wrong anon:39. If pagan described everyone who doesn't subscribe to an abrahamic religion then that would include buddhists, hindus, and a host of other religions that aren't paganism.

I'm a convert to wicca from christianity. I think the reason you don't see many converts the other way is because christianity has a narrower focus e.g. one god rather than a pantheon or even just a god and goddess, going to church versus the choices of solitary practice or coven or UU church, and so on. When you believe that prayer works it's easy to believe in magic but it's harder to go from magic to the relative simplicity of prayer, KWIM? I like the ritual and focus of magic and while I intellectually know that prayer is the same thing it just doesn't hold the same power for me when I just say the words which of course means it's not as effective since it's all about personal conviction.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 3:58 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• that would include buddhists, hindus, and a host of other religions that aren't paganism.

Ask around - for most Christians, it does include them. They can't abide the idea that there are any religions older than their own.
    Anonymous

• pa·gan (pgn) n. 1. An adherent of a polytheistic religion in antiquity, especially when viewed in contrast to an adherent of a monotheistic religion. 2. A Neopagan. 3. Offensive a. One who has no religion. b. An adherent of a religion other than Judaism, Christianity, or Islam. 4. A hedonist.

Anonymous

• I was raised Protestant and stopped going to church at 16. I was agnostic or atheist (depending) until I was 26.
    Then I realized I did believe in God and that I wasn't protesting anything. So I became catholic. Had I known what the Orthodox church was I might have even gone there...
    shellbyrne

Answer by shellbyrne at 5:37 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• RhondaVeggie

i'm sorry girl. but you are wrong. anon is correct. Pagan is a blanket term which describes everyone who is not a follower of the God of Abraham.
    However, when most people in the US say Pagan what they really mean is Neo-Pagan.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• "That is hardly accurate. You speak for yourself, not all Pagans. Pagan is not a religion unto itself. It's a blanket term used to describe anyone not Christian, Jewish or Muslim. "

Really, and those Pagans....those who practiced nature-based religions LONG before Christianity and other religions even existed.....would then be described as "Anyone who is not a follower of a religion that currently doesn't exist" It's a stupid statement to say it's simply a blanket term for anyone who doesn't practice religions that are, in the grand scheme of human life, BABY RELIGIONS
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Really, and those Pagans....those who practiced nature-based religions LONG before Christianity and other religions even existed.....would then be described as "Anyone who is not a follower of a religion that currently doesn't exist" It's a stupid statement to say it's simply a blanket term for anyone who doesn't practice religions that are, in the grand scheme of human life, BABY RELIGIONS

You make absolutely no sense. Try a dictionary. Someone was kind enough to quote one for you. After you learn what pagan means, look up reconstructionism.
    Anonymous