ready to potty train? no verbal cues?

was your LO ready to potty train before they could really give you any verbal cues ?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 1:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Owlfeather, I say go for it. My daughter trained young. She was verbal, but I've heard of plenty of nonverbal kids training just fine. He finds a way to tell you he needs to eat, right?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• It is so much easier if you wait until they are ready. Mine were all 3 and trained in 3 days. Why put yourself through all that extra work?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• well....my son does seem to be ready...as far as I know, just because he isnt very verbal yet, doesnt mean we should attempt and try. I hear many success stories about lo's potty training when they are ready and not talking a whole bunch yet!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Mine was 20 months and trained in a week... and we didn't have to buy diapers for a whole year and a half compared to waiting until three, and she was granted the dignity of not sitting in her own mess at an age where she could carry on a full conversation (age 2). Your child doesn't need to be able to express, "I need to potty" -- as long as he or she can make desires known with some sort of communication, it's fine. My other daughter is 15 months and is already telling me she's poopy or wet by grabbing her diaper and saying "bah." I think we'll start soon. It's only recently that people have started letting 3 year-olds soil themselves because they're convinced it will do them psychological damage to train sooner or because they don't want to put forth the effort to help them learn.
    Anonymous

• It's not really a recent thing anon. We let my then 3 year old soil himself and that was 12 years ago! Oh the indignity!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:43 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Recent doesn't have to mean 5 years or less...
    Anonymous

• my son wasn't ready until he was 3, we tried sooner and he wanted nothing to do with it. My daughter is 4 and is only showing minimal signs of wanting to, she is developmentally behind and is in many ways like a much smaller child, she is barely even talking. We're not going to force her but we are continuing to work with her
    Anonymous