Is it amniotic fluid....

My doctor suspects that I might be leaking amniotic fluid, so they are sending me to the hospital. How does the hospital check to see if I am leaking amniotic fluid??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There is a test but the doc should be able to do that in the office. If you are at least 38 weeks then I would refuse all internal exams and wait for a while, maybe have sex, get in the shower, or any of the other natural labor inducers. Once they do an internal and you are leaking fluid then you increase the risk of infection and they will make sure that baby is born within usually 24 hours some hospitals are less (I mean by induction or c-section).

If you are preterm then you need to stop labor it there is any and I don't know if there is anything they can do about leaking fluid preterm or not, but you need to find out.
    Anonymous

• i would think your doctor could just check that ? the nurse practitioner in my midwife's office confirmed that my water had broken. they just check the fluid, something like a litmus test maybe ? good luck!!!!
    Anonymous

• oh and i wouldn't really want to go to the hospital because if it is amniotic fluid they might want to admit you so i would say no i'm going to go home for a bit and pack my bag, and then just go back hours and hours later when active labor is in full force.
    Anonymous

• Like the PP said... I wouldnt go strait to the hospital. Assuming it is amniotic fluid, they WILL most likely keep you and then you are stuck. If you dont start contracting (assuming you are full term) they will most likely want to start pitocin. I would hold off for awhile if you are full term. If you arent... I would go in ASAP so that they can stop labor if it were to start.

They use a test strip that changes color if it is amniotic fluid. They just touch it to your who-ha... its quick and painless and gives instant results:)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:04 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• there is a test they can do to determine if its urine or amniotic fluid. I had to have that test with #2 but turns out I just wet myself. lol

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• They can touch the fluid to a piece of Nitrazine paper. I think that was how we discovered mine was positive...
    But be sure you have NO INTERNAL exams.
    And I do agree~ if you are positive you might be subject to unnecessary interventions including induction or cesarean.

You can ask about how to monitor your health and safety while still avoiding those added risks.

Is it still leaking (gush, trickle)?
    Color or odor?
    Baby's position?
    You have a fever?
    Gestation?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• What you do depends on how far along you are. If you are term or close, then chill out and wait. If you are preterm then you should go to the hospital..
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 3:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2009