Ready for c-section next week and to bring home baby... any advise on the c section healing process and what will be of help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it hurts and they make your butt get out of bed and walk(which hurts even more) just so that you can heal. Sometimes they wont let you eat after until you start passing gas. It takes about 2 weeks to feel better. They'll give you some good pain killers, so don't worry.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Good Question! I'm going in for my 1st C-Section next week too! So far the advice I have gotten is to get up and walk as soon as they will let you. Sorry I know thats not much lol but this is my 1st C-Section as well :)
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 2:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• as soon as they give you the go ahead you might wanna start doing exercises for your tummy muscles to help them heal faster, other than that..take it kinda easy, walk when you can...it will hurt...and even awhile after your tummy may feel tender where your scar is..but its not that bad!!! I only needed my pain meds like 4 or 5 times...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:09 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Enjoy your 4 days in the hospital. I really bonded with my baby having all that one-on-one time with no other distractions. We got really good at breastfeeding in the hospital. Good luck to you!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Well, I think the fact that you know you're going in for one is already going to make your healing go more smoothly. I had an emergency c-section after 50 hours of (mostly unmedicated) labor and was at that point physically and psychologically exhausted and traumatized. It took me so long to feel like a human being and I was depressed and disappointed and I think battling PPD.

The next one, which I scheduled, was a walk in the park. Of course, surgery's no fun, but I didn't have the mental anguish of feeling like I hadn't actually given birth (I had made my peace with revising my concept of "birth") and I hadn't gone through all that hard physical labor and sleep deprivation. I was doing things after 1 week that I couldn't do after 3 weeks with the first one. You'll be tired, druggy, sore... but if you have some help, you should be just fine. Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:58 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Other advice... I liked having the Armsreach cosleeper bassinet for nursing purposes after getting home. I didn't have to get out of bed to nurse her, but she wasn't in my space either (that would have freaked me out). Really try to limit trips up and down stairs, and reorganize your life a bit for the first week or so to make this possible. Listen to doctors on how long to not lift heavy things or exercise or have sex... they're not out to trick you!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:00 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I asked for advice on here before my c-section and a lot of people told me to get moving around asap but that was my biggest mistake! Take the time to fully heal and ask for help when you need it. There will be moments when you'll be frustrated and just want to get up and do what you want to do but I promise you will miss the laying low soon enough!! By moving around and doin too much I prolonged my healing.....just relax and enjoy your new baby!! Congrats!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 3:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Get up and move!!!! Now I'm not saying vaccum or scrub your house, but as soon as you can get up and walk. Like within 8 hours, you need to at least be in a rocking chair, even if you cath and IV is still in. Rocking is ALMOST as good as walking. Have your IV and cath out and be up and moving around your room by 12 hours. You may get an old school nurse who will want you to stay in bed for 12-24 hours, but trust me - SHE IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. She is just trying to make her own job easier by letting you just lay there. Young nurses will be more encouraging and accomodating of you getting up and moving. If the nurse you get does not support your goal of getting up, ask for an other one. The more you move those first few days the better off you will be. Be sure and really take you time doing anything strenuous or lifting (wait at least 4 wks, 6-8 if you need it) but do all the walking and rocking you can.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 4:25 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• And as a side note - in almost every other area of the hospital, they have post op patients up within hours. Hip replacement patients are up walking within 8 hours of surgery. Heart patients are now allowed up soon too. You heal faster if you move. The only exception to this is emergency C/S. If you have been in labor for hours and hours then end up having a c/s, you are very much physically depleted and recovery is going to be rough. Its like having surgery just after running a marathon. But for a scheduled c/s, get up and move. You will bounce back soo much faster.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 4:29 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• My advice is this-take it as easy as possible. I know people are saying you can get up and walk around, excersise bla-bla-bla but I had a C-section 2 yrs. ago and am getting another one in a month with my next child. It IS a major surgery! The mistake I made with my first C section was this- the pain killers numb everything-they make you feel like you can do anyhting within a few weeks. DON'T!. I am very physically active and worked out all the time before my last pregancy. I gained a lot of weight with my last baby so I immediatly went to the gym after 5 weeks. I walked,jogged and lifted light weights and tore just a bit. I was sore for 6 months and developed scar tissue that will never go away in my stomache. (It is a little pouch and I once had a flat stomache) DO NOT over exert yourself-allow your body to heal. I was warned this by a friend who is an OB nurse and I didn't listen. I regret it now-so take it easy.:)
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 4:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2009