• In the Spotlight:

how long after giving birth do you get your period?

I had and lost my daughter october 14th and yet I have not got my period.. my husband and I are trying to have baby, test results negitive , so I was wondering if it takes a while to get period back ?

seatabugmama

Asked by seatabugmama at 2:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I'm sorry for your loss.. My son is 15mo and I have yet to have a normal period (I did breastfeed until he was 13mo) Hormones are a tricky thing. A lot of things can alter your cycle. If you're depressed or stressed it can prevent you from having a normal cycle. I would take things easy for awhile. It could be a few more months before your body is ready.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 3:56 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I dunno after my son i bled for 6 months straight (because of the bc shot). Second son I bled for about 6 weeks and my cycle came back in a month and I had a cycle every month. Maybe you're already prego again???????????
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I didn't have a period until about 12months postpartum for all three.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:13 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• For my first three months second 2 months But I have friends who didnt get it for two years in varies in every women But if you go to the doctor they can look and tell you if you are ovulating, doesnt hurt to keep trying :)
    twogirlsandmore

Answer by twogirlsandmore at 3:48 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• It really varies. But you may be pregnant right now.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• First I am so sorry for your loss. On average I was told that it is about 10 weeks before your cycle starts back. Now this varries depending on breast feeding, medicine, and your own body. Have you talked to you Dr about trying to get pregnant so soon? I know that alot of doctors recomend waiting some time in between your pregnancies. You have to make sure that you remain heathy for you and your future baby.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 8:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• It varies for everyone. I got my period back 18 mos postpartum, but I was nursing full time.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:06 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I am so sorry for you loss. My daughters are 12 months apart, which means i got pregnant around 7 weeks later and i didnt have a period at the time.
    constanceocean

Answer by constanceocean at 9:51 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• It took 7 weeks for me I also was getting worried and went to the doctor who gave me a prescription to make my cycle start but luckly it came on its own the next day so I didnt need to take it
    neaneah

Answer by neaneah at 4:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2009