Should you celebrate Christmas if you don't believe in Jesus?

I mean...that is the meaning of the holiday. I'm not bashing on anyone who celebrates it that doesn't believe in Jesus, bc I don't particularly care. However, I'm surprised that so many people DO celebrate it who don't believe.

What are your thoughts?

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 2:12 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe in jesus my family celebrates christmas. However we do tend to not focus on the jesus part so much and I feel horribly about that. Christmas is a time to celebrate the birth of jesus christ my lord and savior and a lot of ppl forget about that. I think we all need to stop and think for a moment on what this time of year really means. We should be celebrating life and giving and hope and faith. Not so much what were buying this year and maxing out our credit cards. To answer your question no I guess you shouldn't. Not if you take into account the true meaning of CHRISTmas.
    blondiemaker07

Answer by blondiemaker07 at 2:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• we dont really celebrate like geting with family and having the whole woo hoo xmas party and this and that, but i do buy my kids presents, because its kinda wrong if other kids get sdtuff for xmas and mine dont just because i dont believe in jesus. I teach my kids about everything and all kinds of relgion and cultures, they can decide for thierselves what to believe.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 2:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• It's ok with me. What do I care if someone has a celebration? It's none of my business.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I think if you don't believe in Jesus you can still celebrate Christmas, maybe instead of celebrating the birth of Jesus they think of it as a way to bring the family closer together. Idk, just guessing...LOL.
    Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 2:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Well how many that DO believe in Jesus and celebrate the holiday as his birthday actualy realize that it's reputed he was born sometime in June, not December! And that many traditions around Christmas such as a Christmas Tree are derived from Pagan Traditions?? The Church decided to use many Pagan Traditions with their holidays to make the conversion from Paganism to Christianity easier for others, and this includes Christmas.

While I personaly believe Jesus existed and was a man, I believe he was just that, an amazing man, and it's not his birth I celebrate at Christmas but the idea of Peace, Goodwill and Love
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:19 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Just because someone celebrates Christmas doesn't mean they are buying all the religious connotations. We are christian, and we celebrate Christmas as a time of family and friends and tradition of 'Santa" We do not celebrate it as Christs birth. We do not know when Christ was born. All evidence lead scholars to believe it most certainly was NOT winter. We celebrate christs birth each day we live and worship. I do take offense to your question. Especially since 'christmas' as you celebrate it evolved through the roots of a pagan ritual.
    Anonymous

• sure you can, its not like christmas has anything to do with the birth of Jesus anyway.
    Anonymous

• I celebrate a secular winter holiday by usurping the holiday traditions I love most, and stamping over the "Property of christianity" mark on many of them with one that says "This is MINE." The difference is that, unlike so many christians, I don't go around telling people they don't have the right to use this or that as part of their festivities because it's part of ONE specific religion, conveniently forgetting (or never even knowing) most of those traditions were previously owned by the very pagan religions christians are told quite plainly to avoid in all ways.

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 2:29 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• blondiemaker07 To answer your question no I guess you shouldn't. Not if you take into account the true meaning of CHRISTmas

Then you are catholic, right? I mean, you must be. Because the origin of that is Christ's MASS. That is the -MAS in ChristMAS. If you are not catholic -- you know, the original christian church based on the teachings of Christ -- then you are just as guilty as those who "remove" the Christ part. All protestant religions that broke from the original teachings and doctrine of the original church removed the -MAS part first, long, long ago. So why do they all get so bent and offended when someone else does the same sort of thing?
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 2:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I grew up celebrating Christmas in a secular context. I knew what it meant to other people & I knew what it meant to MY family. So, for me that is my tradition, treating Christmas as a time for family to come together & express what we mean to each through generosity.

I don't value the fairy tale version of the Pilgrims & Native Americans getting along as one big happy family but, I love counting my blessings & having a feast on Thanksgiving .

I don't worship or really even recognize Saints but, I celebrate SAINT Valentine's Day because any form of celebrating LOVE is awesome to me.

Holidays are personal, I define them for myself.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 2:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2009