for moms with more than 2....

did you buy a new crib everytime or did you just let the younger kids use the older kids stuff.. hand me downs if you will??
we dont know if we want to buy a new crib or if the new baby is just going to use my sons crib..its a 4 in 1. my oldest will be getting a twin bed so my son could if we decided to use her toddlers bed and the baby would use his crib now. would save us some money.and get good use out of the toodler bed...but i feel like i would be cheating my son! i bought the bed for him to grow into!so should i just suck it up and buy a new crib or be thrifty and re use???

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 2:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• we handed them down from sibling to sibling. they thought it was fun and special - this was mine, and now its yours. they still talk about how each of themgot to have the same cradle, and crib.

you can tell him that he can give the baby a gift - make the bed the gift - can he pick out some bedding or a blanket or something special to put in it for baby?
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I think (IMO) it is crazy to go out and spend the money when the one you have is perfectly fine, but that is just me.
    Anonymous

• i dont know if he is going to be old enough to understand..he will only be like 1 1/2 when the new baby gets here. . . which is why im also nervouse about switching him into the toddler bed. . but thats about the age i moved my DD over to the toodler bed. soooo.....
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 2:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Let the baby use the crib. That's what we did.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• We only ever had 1 crib. We got it when our oldest was 7 months old and the older 3 each used it. And they were each a year apart. Until the crib was available they slept in the pack n play. My oldest used the crib from 7 months to 2 years old. My son used it from 10 months to 20 months (he started climbing out at that point). My middle daughter used it from 8 months until she was 4 (it was converted to a toddler bed when she was 2 1/2). They destroyed it so my youngest never used it. She just slept in the pack n play and it's the same one we've had since the oldest was born.
    I never saw a reason to buy new stuff. We just kept reusing the old stuff until it was worn out.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:43 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

•      My boys are several years apart. The first two are 5 years apart and the middle & youngest are 8 years apart, and since all three were surprises, I didn't save the cribs so that the other child could use them. However, if I had planned all three of them, I would have saved the money and reuse the cribs. With your son being only 1 1/2, I don't think it will be a big deal.

I would make it like he is becoming a "big boy", and that the baby needed the baby bed while him being a 'big boy" needs a "big boy" bed. I would get some new sheets or even a blanket like Hypermamaz suggested and make a big to do over it for him. This way you can save the money, and he feels special since he will be a "big boy" now. Hope this helps!

Desirae17

Answer by Desirae17 at 3:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I did but now with all the recalls I might be a little more careful.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:40 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Child 1 and 2 used the same crib.
    Child 2 broke crib just before #3 was born so #3 was in a bassinet.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• My oldest was only 15 months when my younger dd was born, so we bought a new one. However, we are not those nutty parents who spend $400 plus on cribs, so it wasn't that bad. My ds used baby #2's crib and we gave my brother our other crib.
    Anonymous

• For my first 3 I just used the same one with a new mattress. But my last 2 boys are only 13 months apart, so I had no choice but to buy another.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2009