My newborn refuses to eat!

I just got home from the hospital and he's 2 days old. He has been a total poop about breast feeding and will just sleep and sleep and I'm trying to offer him the boob every 3 hours or so and he just sits there and screams. Last time he ate was 10:30 and I had to fight with him to get him to get anything and he only ate from one side. My milk's not completely in, so I know he's getting just colustrum but my boobs are getting swollen and full so I know it'll be in soon.
Why is he just refusing to eat? Aren't babies supposed to be super hungry when they come out? I'm getting so frusterated and I don't want to bottle feed but I feel helpless and I don't want him to get dehyrdrated!

marine_wife0520

Asked by marine_wife0520 at 2:19 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son didn't eat at first. There is nothing you can really do. He will eat when he is hungry. I remember being freaked out by it. I was up all night for 2 days trying to feed him. When I think back now, I think, why didn't I just go to sleep? Try to get some rest. He will eat when he is hungry! As long as you can get a little in him. Good luck to you!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:37 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• http://www.kellymom.com/bf/index.html

http://www.mother-2-mother.com/cc-baby-A.htm#SleepyBabies

My daughter got extra sleepy at that age. She would not stay awake long and was upset I was waking her. She was healthy and full term. I let her sleep and she woke when hungry and cluster fed. Then she became more wakeful around day 4.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• http://www.drjacknewman.com/default.asp

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• just keep offering. and i agree, don't offer a bottle, that won't help at all =) you are doing just fine
    Anonymous

• Keep an eye out regarding his skin color. Babies who won't eat are susceptible to dehydration, and it may make a case of mild jaundice into bad jaundice. Make sure you schedule the 1st week checkup right away just to make sure he's fine. Some babies are just really tired right after they're born and don't eat much-- that's not the same as not eat at all.

My son developed severe jaundice and had to be hospitilized at 3 days old in the NICU. He, too, was awfully sleepy and didn't latch on much at all. It turned out that he had a short frenulum that made it difficult for him, and so I needed a nipple shield to help him out. Once we got it on-- he was an eating machine.

While in the NICU, I was told to give him a bottle so that he could stay under the lights. It was great in our case- he took to both the bottle and breast, and hubby was able to take over some feedings. Now he takes a bottle from really anyone!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 3:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2009