Am I close to having my baby?

I am 38 weeks pregnant. I went to the doctor today and im a fingertip to a one dialated and 70 to 80 percent effaced or thinned. They said that was really good for my first baby. He said he would induce next friday but Im just wondering how close I am and if there is a chance I could have her before next friday.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wouldnt count on having your baby by next Friday. Alot of people are that dilated and effaced well before 38 weeks and still end up delivering late. May I ask why the doctor is planning an induction?
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Sure there is a chance.
    Your cervical progress doesn't tell you when-how you'll go into labor. For the sake of your confidence, you might choose to decline the offer for future vaginal exams.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• just say no to induction. your baby might not decide it's time for almost another month. doctor wants to induce so s/he doesn't have to work around the holidays. not really the best for you and your baby.
    Anonymous

• anon 1255- you don't know that for sure! The doc may want to induce for other reasons... not really fair to assume something so rude!

It's true though, that your progress isn't a HUGE sign of labor, however it's something. Basically, if you weren't progressing at ALL, or had no progress over the last few weeks, it'd be safe to assume that induction is the best route- because esp with your first, women tend to go overdue, and wind up doing emergency c's, or induction anyways. Checking your progress isn't so helpful for you, but it is for your doc.

If you're seeking natural labor, walking, squats, pool work-outs, etc... those will help get labor started. Sex works as well!! Keep active and your baby will come in no time!
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 3:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• livn4hevn, going past the due date is completely normal for all moms, especially first time moms. there is no reason to induce just because you are past your due date. it is getting induced that leads to c-sections in many cases. also no progress over the past few weeks is not a sign that you need to be induced. i had "no progress" until 41 weeks, the day my son was born. just because you aren't dilated one day doesn't mean you won't go into labor the next.
    Anonymous

• First why is he inducing at 39 weeks? If there is no medical reason then I would be politely declining that one. Induction automatically increases the risk of c-section to 40% and that is way to high and not to mention that average pregnancy when left alone to go into labor is anywhere between 38-42 weeks. As long as the baby is not in distress or some other medical reason then I would say no induction until at least 42 weeks. Second that means nothing. I was 4 cm for 3 weeks before having my first and my second I didn't start to go anywhere until I was in labor with her and at the hospital.
    Anonymous

• Anon 144... you didn't go past your due date tho! anything between 38 and 42 weeks is still an on-time baby! Your EDD is simply the date that falls in the middle!! A baby is not considered "past due" until they go past 42 weeks.

the doc needs to know how far along you are or are not progressing in order to correctly decide the best course of action. If you have little or no progression at the 42 week mark, induction is certainly an option!!! I think if your definition of "past due" matched up a little more closely with mine, we'd be on the same page here...

I definately think it means something. I mean, it may not mean much, I realize a lot of women get to a certain point and just stop... but not progressing at ALL, or progressing too quickly certainly has meaning... so SOME progression is equally as important, in my opinion.
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 2:38 AM on Dec. 5, 2009