My 7 months old is not sleeping

For the past 2 weeks my 7 month old has been waking up every hour and half to two hours and she stays up anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. When she wakes up I let her fuss for a while until she starts crying. But when I get her up she seems fine. She's not cold, not hungry. She seems like she feels ok cause she just looks around and smiles. Her diaper is dry, etc etc. I have no clue why she keeps waking up. She has a very consistent nap schedule that she does great with. And she isn't over sleeping so she it shouldn't be that she's not tired. I'm not a big fan of letting her cry it out, I would rather figure out what the problem is and address it. Any ideas or suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sleep patterns do change. Does she have any new teeth coming in? Have you introduced anything new to her world?

Answer by gdiamante at 2:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Teething possibly, so a teething tablet could help. Or maybe fewer or shorter naps because like gdiamante said sleeping changes over time. If there really isn't a problem "crying it out" may not be a horrible option because you've taken care of her needs. I wasn't a fan of this either but I did this once with my dd for 10 minutes and it has lead to peaceful, full nights of glorious sleep for both of us. I wish I'd done it earlier! It also helped us to play a soft recording of lullabies which is on her walkie. By the end of it she is sound asleep. In the beginning if she wasnt I'd go in, lay her back down, tuck her in with her teddy bear and play the music again.
    If she knows you're always going to pick her up she'll keep going after it.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• She could be hitting a growth spurt or getting ready to develop a new skill, or just testing you to see if you respond or not. And since you did the first time....lol...but there could be several things. But I would try what MamaChamp said and make sure she really doesn't need anything then leave. Tell her it is time to sleep. And don't let anyone tell you that 7 month old can't be manipulative.  Good Luck! and sweet dreams!

phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 3:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2009