cereal in formula.. no bashing

i have 2 and a half month baby me and my husband both work full time, my mom suggested cereal in my dd's formula has anyone tried this at this age or sooner and have had success? I just want her to get a good nights rest and a full tummy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• trust me I've had my mother and father both yell at me because they told me to put cereal in the babies formula but the pediatrician told me not to feed him cereal until he was 13 lbs or more so I had to hear we raised you on that and you are still alive so how could you believe a doctor over us? I finally gave baby a little cereal in bottle before bed and he seemed to rest better because he was full but I made sure it was a nice balance I didnt give him too much but I did give him some because he didn't seem like he was full after eating but once adding the cereal he seemed content, but yes I started out with cereal when he was 2 months not on a regular basis just that one time then I resumed when he turned 3 months and still using the cereal now and he loves it
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• It increases obesity and overeating. And as we all know both of those lead to other health problems. I would consider other options first like bedtime routines (soothing baths, lavender) and compromising waking up between you and your husband. I'm not bashing you...research is just very much against this even though its commonly used. That doesn't make it healthy for you precious little one.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Your baby is way too young.... I wouldn't do it. At that age, babies are MEANT to wake up for feedings every 3-4 hours. Sucks for the parents, I know, but yeah...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• From one tired mom to another, I wouldn't do it. I didn't start giving my daughter cereal until she was 4 months old and I didn't do it in her bottle cause her Dr said that they should learn the diff between food and drink. Also, my daughter is 6 months now, and still is not sleeping through the night. The whole cereal thing is kind of hit or miss. I think you would be better off toughing out the rough nights and starting cereal a little bit later.
    Anonymous

• I COMPLETELY disagree with MamaChamp about the cereal. My mother put cereal in my bottle and in the bottles of my sisters and brothers. Only one of us is overweight and there were five of us. I put cereal in my kid's bottles too. I have a 10 year old and five year old. Both are lean and eat reasonably.

However...I DO agree with her in regard to bed time rituals. Lavendar baby wash. A warm bath every night before bed in Johnson's lavendar baby wash. I did this every night with my 5 year old. I also washed his bedding and clothes and dried them with lavendar scented dryer sheets. I HAD to get a good night's sleep because I was active duty and my husband was gone...a lot. He is also active duty. My five year old now sleeps very well because he got used to going to sleep every night at the same time after a warm bath!

SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 3:19 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• babies aren't suppose to even have cereal until they are older than that, my mom told me to do the same thing, we used the rice baby cereal which is the first one they are able to have when they are little and my son ended up allergic to rice for a few years he is finally starting to be able to eat a little without having a reaction. Babies have tiny tummies and wake to eat a lot, it sucks for mom and dad but its what we signed up for when we had them
    Anonymous

• No bashing. Just the facts. It doesn't make them sleep and is a choking hazard.

You honestly cannot MAKE a baby sleep more...they do it when they do it despite you rather than because of you.

If your mom wants to help..have her do some of the chores you're probably exhausting yourself with. Leave things undone so you can get some rest.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• "Sucks for the parents, I know, but yeah... "

Yep. Parenthood is not for anyone who wants more than two hours sleep in a row!

Answer by gdiamante at 3:42 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I did it with my youngest at 2 months. It did help her sleep, filled her up and she didn't choke. Our parents did it with us and we didn't choke either, apparently babies born in the 21st century are chokers while babies 20-30 years ago weren't, odd.
    Anonymous

• doesn't make them sleep better/more

babies that young are SUPPOSED to be up every few hours to feed - thats a part of what parenting is - getting up with baby in the middle of the night. if you think you can change that you are sorely misinformed.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2009