Am I not protective enough or are over protective?

I was at the mall today with my play group having lunch. They other 2 moms had their toddlers in the stroller to eat bc the have trays. My son has an umbrella stroller so he was sitting in a chair which he does all the time. The chair fell back, he was fine but the other moms were flipping out. The one kept saying oh he's too little for a real chair. Um no, he sits in one all the time! And the other one ran and got a high chair. I hate using them at the mall bc they take up a lot of room and the food court is packed. They always keep the kids in strollers and mine walks around. Even at the children's fest the one mom kept her in the stroller. What's the point???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OP- the question is supposed to say or are they too over protective.
    Anonymous

• I think you are doing fine. Some moms are just over protective.
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 3:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• what matters most is what you are comfortable with as a parent and that your child is staying safe and healthy, everyone else needs to butt out and worry about their own children
    Anonymous

• I put my kids in the chairs too...takes up less room than the strollers and you know how filthy the mall highchairs are....ICK!

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Children need the protection of their parents. Nobody knows your child better than you. If you know he is capable of sitting in a regular chair without falling off, then by all means continue doing what works for you. A fall from a chair is not the same from you child than it would be for you or I since they are much smaller so just be careful and keep in mind that every parents level of comfort is different. Apparently the two mom's from the play group felt that your son still needed some additional support like a high chair. I wouldn't care if a high chair inconvenience other people in a crowded place, if my child needs it to be safe, then that is exactly what I will be using. As far as them been over-protective, I don't think so, I think they provide the right amount of protection for their children since they know them better than anybody else.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Each mom does what she thinks is best for her child, for other mothers it may seem over protective and for others not so much, you do with your child what you think is best for him and that's great, what they think shouldn't matter nobody knows there child like there own mother.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I think the other moms were just trying to be helpful. It's in our nature to be nurturing.

My 17 month old would have been seated in her umbrella stroller too. I wouldn't want to risk her falling out of a chair and cracking her skull on the cement floor of the mall food court-KWIM?

You know your child best. If he is ok with sitting in a chair, then so be it.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 4:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Some parents are overprotective and some aren't protective enough. My sister isn't protective enough and I think that I am not overprotective but my SO is. It all depends on the parent and children.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• To me it sounds like you are being too permissive vs under protective... but I would rather be over protective rather than have my son be hurt or something.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Obviously you need to be cautious, but keeping a child locked in their stroller the way I see so many people do makes me feel terrible for the children. I think that some people who have responded were snarky & unnecessarily so. My dd has pretty much always refused high chairs, it requires extra diligence on my end, but it makes her happy. I think that many parents smother & over-protect their children to the detriment of said children. Keeping you child locked up "for their own safety" is certainly going to slow them down developmentally. Having a strong willed child has taught me just how much little ones are capable of when given some space.  She has had some bumps & bruises & we have had some close calls, but I am always on the lookout for her safety, but I let her have the space she needs within that.  She wouldn't have it any other way!! 

curlycupcake

Answer by curlycupcake at 9:30 AM on Dec. 5, 2009