Christians-how do you meditate on this verse?

It seems to me we are wrong about sin

December 04, 2009

When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment:
John 16:8

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hmm, so murder is not a sin? I'm not sure I get what you are saying/implying here...
    Anonymous

• One more time, read the whole passage for understanding. The writers didn't write the verses in isolation we shouldn't read them in that way.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:42 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I can and will read a daily verse sent to me. I can and will ask for opinions about those that perplex me. You can (but won't) ignore it if you don't like it teamquin

anon:I do not think this verse says murder is not a sin.
    Anonymous

• "I do not think this verse says murder is not a sin."

Well that's an interesting POV.
    Anonymous

• To undestand better.. read the passages as if you were reading a letter... take out the verse numbers and chapter numbers... it will flow nicely and you see it from a totally different perspective! :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• You asked how do Christian's meditate on a verse? We meditate on it in it's whole context. Knowone is trying to be mean to you so try not to take offense when someone says to look at the verse in context. If you are getting one verse a day... if you have a bible look it up and read a few verses before and a few verses after to give complete meaniing. If you don't have a bible available.. biblegateway.com is a free online bible source.
    Anonymous

• OP: I'm anon448 - here's the verse in it's complete context

John 16:7. But it is actually best for you that I go away, because if I don't, the Counselor won't come. If I do go away, he will come because I will send him to you.
    8.And when he comes, he will convince the world of its sin, and of God's righteousness, and of the coming judgment.
    9.The world's sin is unbelief in me.
    10.Righteousness is available because I go to the Father, and you will see me no more.
    Anonymous

What?  No one said to ignore anything. My point is simply this any opinion we give you is simply that our opinion. To truly understand the Bible you must read the verses in context. I also get a verse a day, and I go and get my Bible, or as one poster suggested go to Bible gateway and read at least the verse above and the verse below. Also if you are really struggling to understand a verse it can help to look in different versions, another nice feature on Biblegateway.com.

I don't want you to make decisions on what you think or believe based only on people's opinions, especially my opinion. The reason is I am learning and growing as Christian day by day. I certainly am no expert.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I think it's one of those in the last days people will call a lot of things that are wrong right, and a lot of things that are right wrong -

When you think about it, popular culture as a whole is very confused on the matter - maybe not yet on big things like murder and pedophilia, but a lot of other things which would be sins in the view of a Christian seem to be perfectly acceptable these days.
    Anonymous

• there is nothing wrong with giving opinions and sharing them teamquin.

thank you anon:04 for your response.
    Anonymous