12 months old breastfed baby won't take the bottle and doesn't drink enough milk.

and he'll take the sippy cup but it takes way much time for him to drink even 4 oz. I see babies who take the bottle drink down 8oz so quickly...any suggestions? (Peds recommended me to give him, in addition to my breastmilk, 12oz of formula, which is hard to give him!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You could try giving it to him in small amounts throughout the day, like 2oz at a time in the sippy so you're not wasting it even if it takes him a while to drink it. My daughter was exclusively breastfed and never once took a bottle for me. When she was old enough for cow's milk we tried it a few times but she just didn't like it so I made sure she ate or drank other things that have calcium and vitamin D in them to make up for her not drinking the milk.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 3:31 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• My breastfed 15 month old won't take a sip of cow's milk, no matter what I do. She eats either a full serving of cheese or of yogurt with every meal, doctors haven't worried. I hide lots of spinach in her food, too, for calcium. But after 12 months, they shouldn't be getting any more than 15 or so ounces, anyway... if you can accomplish that, no worries, and if you can't just make sure there are other calcium sources.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I don't see ANY reason to invest in formula at this point!
    EmilySusan

• Many nursing moms are told that they must introduce cow's milk at a year. Your nursing toddler is already getting the best milk he can get - mother's milk! Just breastfeed him more! There is no need for additional milk or (or the equivalent nutrients from other foods) as long as your baby is nursing 3-4 times per day. Check out http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/toddler-foods.html#cowmilk

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• You may want to try a different kind of sippy cup there is everything from the soft top that is more like a bottle, to hard top, and toddler sippies. I would maybe pick up one of each kind and see if that helps. If not you can also try introducing a regular cup in child size. It takes a little practice but not that hard for them to pick it up. Why is the ped wanting you to give him formula? Just cause he needs more milk? I would try changing cups first. That or giving table foods that are milk based. I hope this helped.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 5:04 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• They have a thing that goes arond your neck and it has tubes you tape to your breast i have one in fact that i could give to u its never used but u can pick it up at a hospital and they show u how to use it. It works great there is also these bottles that r spooose to be just like the breast.there called adiri natural nurser. the link is were u can find it
    http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/products/forbaby/feeding/bottlespacifiersnipples/adirinaturalnurser
    katiebeth1821

Answer by katiebeth1821 at 5:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• i forgot to ad there are some great breastfeeding groups on cafemom plz join them. Im a member of some they really help
    katiebeth1821

Answer by katiebeth1821 at 5:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• the reason I have to give him soy formula is because he's allergic to milk....
    Anonymous

• why does he need formula at a year?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:29 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• he's allergic to milk and since he's too thin, peds rec to give him formula since it contains more calories.
    Anonymous