Please help!!

ive been trying to transition DD over to a sippy cup..which she has NO problem using one, she can drink out of it just fine, just as she would a bottle..now I breastfeed so she doesnt get a bottle THAT often..but she has been the BIGGEST GROUCH like she keeps throwing these huge fits over this sippy cup thing..she was fine mood wise before but if I try to give her a sippy cup she has an absolute meltdown throws it and gets into this awful mood, in the morning she has no problem drinking out of it but in the afternoon around 1pm is when she gets real pissed off with it..I dont understand why shes having such a fit with it..what am I doing wrong? shes 12 months old

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• and I know its the sippy cup thats pissing her off because when I pour it into a bottle, I give it to her and shes fine! which I dont understand how she has an attachment to a bottle when I hardly ever gave her one..she is soo strong willed and stubborn its definitely stressful
    Anonymous

• is that her nap time? are you putting something different in the cup than you do in the morning? Is it the same kind of cup from the morning? And if she is throwing it, it seems pretty obvious that she doesn't want it a that time. So try a different time. Like with dinner or at her regular snack time.
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 3:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Are YOU giving it? That can be the whole problem...often mom needs to be absent for an alternative feeding method to be accepted.

Just leave it out for her. If she takes it, great. If she doesn't, no biggie. Since she's still nursing she's not missing out on anything.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:40 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I only give her milk in it, and I try again later and have the same problem, she does the same thing at dinner time too...im trying to wean her right now so I need her to take this thing...but I dont understand why she is having issue with a sippy cup but NOT a bottle...I also use the nuby sippy cups with the soft nipple so its still kind of like a bottle but the spout isnt shaped the same obviously
    Anonymous

• also I tried regular sippy cups with the hard spout too and she wont even touch it..atleast with the nuby she will drink out of it in the morning
    Anonymous

• "I only give her milk in it, and I try again later and have the same problem, she does the same thing at dinner time too...im trying to wean her right now so I need her to take this thing."

Sometimes it takes MANY attempts with different cups. You might try a straw type to see if she's happier with that.

Drop only one nursing session a week to keep yourself from getting engorged, OK?

Answer by gdiamante at 3:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• right now im only nursing at night when she wakes up..so she doesnt nurse during the day anymore
    Anonymous

• also is it normal for her to be THIS moody and distressed over a sippy cup??
    Anonymous

• "also is it normal for her to be THIS moody and distressed over a sippy cup?? "

If she's wanting to nurse instead, yes. In fact...changes in general will make 'em cranky. Babies...the original divas!

Answer by gdiamante at 4:13 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• You don't have to wean to cow's milk. Once your child is over 12 months they don't need cow's milk. Actually the max number of servings of milk products they are supposed to get is 2 a day. Since toddlers like foods with milk in them it is easy to give a toddler too much cow's milk and run into problems.

She can have water to drink. My breastfed grandson's favorite way to drink at that age was with a regular straw. Breastfed babies can really suck and do well with a straw. If you start them young on water they will learn to like it.

Many babies are not ready to wean at 12 months. She may not be amused at the weaning idea. She may be a strong willed child. As unusual as it is in the US, the World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2009