If youre past your due date how long will they let the baby stay in there?

Im almost past my due date... Not yet but I was told last night by a friend that his DD was Nov 29 and he wasnt born until dec 28... Thats a whole month over!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think no later than 40 weeks. Are you sure she didn't miscalculate?
    Anonymous

• The doctor will induce you within 10 days of the due date. I was scheduled to be induce a week after my due date.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• it could be that your friends EDD was off by a bit. but my best friend in elementary school was born a month past her EDD too.

it's really up to you. there are ways to check on the baby and how s/he's doing in there. i would probably consider induction if i got past 42 weeks. but that's just me. =)
    Anonymous

• anon #1 is wrong, i would not go to a doctor that induced no later than 40 weeks? 41 weeks is average ??? why would someone get induced before their due date without a medical problem.

armywife is just saying what some doctors would do. it is up to the MOM. =)

--anon #2
    Anonymous

• here most dr's will let you go 14days past EDD.

my first was 7 days 'late'

they'll only induce if there are problems with mom or baby (my 3rd was induced around39weeks)

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• my doc told me no longer than 2 weeks past my due date. I think it depends on the babys weight and if they are in stress or not too....
    Anonymous

• Unless there is a reason to induce earlier (most often it would be placental deterioration or low amniotic fluid) most of our doctors here will let you go 14 days past your EDD
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:54 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Since a woman in charge of herself and her own medical care, the term "let" has to do with what interventions she permits.
    She *lets* the doctor intervene in her pregnancy.
    ;-)

Some doctors-midwives have a preference, it can vary.

If you are past your due date then you're still within the average estimated due period of 4 weeks, anyway.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:58 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• ditto doulala :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 4:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I think it's pretty common for doctor's to induce at 41 or 42 weeks. Its pretty rare I think for any doc to let a momma go past 42 weeks because they need to make sure baby doesn't get too big for vaginal delivery and also the vernix starts to wear off and the amniotc fluid will start to damage baby's skin after too long.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2009