Tupac song selected for Vatican playlist

I thought this was interesting, what are your thoughts?
CNN) -- Music from late rapper Tupac Shakur has been included as part of the Vatican's official MySpace Music playlist.

The seat of the Catholic Church released a list of 12 songs onto the social networking Web site's streaming music service this week when the site launched in the United Kingdom.

Among selections from Mozart, Muse and Dame Shirley Bassey is the slain rapper's song "Changes," which was released two years after his shooting death on a greatest hits album in 1998.

"The genres are very different from each other, but all these artists share the aim to reach the heart of good minded people," the Vatican wrote on its official MySpace Music page.

As of Thursday night, "Changes" had been played more than 4.6 million times on the Web site.

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 3:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The list was compiled by Father Giulio Neroni, artistic director of church publisher St Paul's Multimedia. He was also responsible for compiling the Vatican's recent Alma Mater album, which combined Gregorian chants and prayers with classical music and the voice of Pope Benedict XVI speaking in five languages.

Shakur, who spent time in prison for sexual assault, was gunned down in a drive-by shooting in Nevada in 1996.

The lyrics of "Changes" describe Shakur's desire to change a grim life of drugs, crime and violence on the streets.

Lyrics of the song, which is labeled as "explicit," include 'Is life worth living, should I blast myself?" "Give the crack to the kids, who the hell cares, one less hungry mouth on the welfare," and "My stomach hurts, so I'm looking for a purse to snatch."

At another point, Tupac sings: "Cause both black and white are smokin' crack tonight."
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 3:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• In contrast, the playlist also contains selections from the album "Music of the Vatican" such as "Advocata Nostra" and "Causa Nostrae Laetitiae."

Other contemporary tracks on the mix include Muse's "Uprising" from their new album "The Resistance" and "He Doesn't Know Why" by the folk group Fleet Foxes.

Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 3:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• figures.
    Anonymous

• Its an honest reflection of his life and what he sees around him.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• That's interesting. I'll have to check it out.
    Anonymous

• I love the song, LOVE TUPAC. However, the info on Tupac is misguided. He didnt even have any legal complications until after he was a success. If you listen to the song instead of the lyrics then it would be better understood. He was relaying a message of the way some blacks justify wrong decisions and how our govn't didnt/don't care enough to help out the ppl of the ghetto.

Tupac Shakur

Listen to the song

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 6:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I love Uprising, though I'm slightly surprised that the Catholic Church is endorsing a song about rising up against an oppressive power... being as they are a large and oppressive power themselves!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• against an oppressive power... being as they are a large and oppressive power themselves!

As a Roman Catholic Christian I wanted to address this statement. To summarize St. Paul, the only rules(laws) that are burdensome to us are the ones we wish to break.

Since I believe in the Pope being led by the Holy Spirit and see as much through His leading the Catholic Church (that is, the people of Catholicism) there is nothing oppressive about it.

The trick is to find out the WHY before making snap judgments...and ask many questions and humbly search for answers.

I recommend reading "The Catechism Of The Catholic Church" as part of this search. Also look up Christopher West, Scott & Kimberly Hahn, Patrick Madrid, Jason Evert, Tim Staples, Rosalind Moss to name a few who take it upon themselves to explain certain things about the Catholic Faith.

MamaBee07

Answer by MamaBee07 at 7:40 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I apologize MamaBee07... I was more making a joke than anything else. Half of my family is Catholic and I am reasonably knowledgeable about the Catholic Church. It wasn't funny and I give my apologies if I offended you.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:48 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

I understand, Freela. We all make jokes about religion/or religious groups (although I'm resolved to be more careful about NOT doing that).

My problem is that the Catholic Church often IS looked at as "an oppressive power" (although, it is NOT) so that's why I jumped in like that.

MamaBee07

Answer by MamaBee07 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 6, 2009