leather vs microfiber sofas?

I have 2 kids ages 5 and 9 and 3 dogs, I am looking for new furniture and don't now if I should go microfiber or leather or fabric...I just don't know which will hold up the best?? Your input is greatly appreciated!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Shopping

• leather is better to wip things off of when spilled but micro fiber last longer with sitting and general wear and tear....... micro fiber isnt that hard to clean eaither.... I have a 17 month old and we have had a microfiber sofa for about a year now and it still looks new
    Anonymous

• We have a pair of leather couches that have held up well for eleven years...we are getting to the point where we have to look at replacing them when DH is working again, and we plan to go leather again.

We have a couple of fabric sofas that are not used very often and yet look dirty. If you go fabric, go VERY DARK. I would not put a fabric couch of any color in a room where it's going to get heavy use, though, just because of spilling issues.

Not familiar with microfiber.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:56 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I have two 7 year olds, a beagle and a parrot and we have a microfiber sectional in our family room. It is a coffee brown type color and it does good. It is easy to clean, we manage to not have any stains and/or scents (from the dog). I have a leather couch set in my living room and it looks good but we don't really use it. I was worried that it might get ripped with the pets.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 6:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Just wanted to add that the microfiber is good, but u do have to vacuum the dog hair off of it.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 6:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Leather is good for style but microfiber is better when it comes to maintenance , its easy to clean, leather is easy to wipe off too but depending on the type of leather sofa you buy microfiber lasts longer, some stores sell leather furniture and I found that its not real leather so just be careful when buying whatever your choice is and ask a lot of questions
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 8:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Yes leather is easier to wipe off as it doesn't absorb the spills. My mother has a leather recliner, but she has to cover it now because the arms are all cracked and it looks and feels aweful. Also, think about warm weather and kids in shorts or skirts STICKING to the furniture, not fun for kids or adults.

Microfiber is a little more difficult to clean, but it DOES clean up nicely. We own a carpet cleaning business and do upholstery and our equipment cleans it up very well. When there are more noticeable stains a good stain cleaner and a scrub brush is all it takes....just spray the cleaner on the brush, not the fabric!

I recommend a stain cleaner for both carpets and furniture called FOLEX. It's a professional grade cleaner, and what we use, and it's sold right at Home Depot!!!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• leather is nice but it is sticky in the summer and slippery to sleep on and punctures easy with pets.
    Microfiber is soft and can be treated with a stain repellent and if its a dark enough color you shouldn't need to worry.
    Microfiber is soft and cozy, very nice for laying on and getting cozy, unlike leather which is kinda cold compared to the microfiber
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:25 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Yeah for sure. But being a natural material, extra care should be taken to maintain the leather. We bought full grain leather in our home from Coja by Sofa4life in Toronto to make it great for our kids and pets. Even though it is expensive, it have an extra finish on it. Our couch is so comfortable for our kids and pets.
    mereenageorgem

Answer by mereenageorgem at 4:08 AM on Jan. 29, 2014