my vomiting is always triggered by coughing. anyone else?

my nausea generally isn't too bad now that i'm 11 weeks. i still don't have an appetite for most foods and have a hard time eating. but i have always only thrown up after coughing. i start coughing and then i immediately feel extremely nausea and have to run to the bathroom to throw up. i feel like if i didn't have a cough, i wouldn't vomit but maybe i cough because i'm about to throw up? is this just me, or is this a somewhat common thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think the cough is due to stuff starting to irritate the esophagus...personally. I get the same thing. I feel a small lump in my throat, then start coughing to clear it. Within a minute or two, I'm usually getting sick. It's not as often as a couple weeks ago, and snuck up on me this morning. I'm just behind you at 10wks 3 days.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 5:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• i had this the beginning of my pregnancy as well.. cough throw up cough throw up.. everyday! until about.... 20 weeks... im not sure if its "common" but mine was due to me having an allergen in my lungs.
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 12:29 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• oops i forgot to add.. try keeping water with you, it helps sometimes for those darn itches that dont go away =/
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 12:30 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• That might be a sensitive gag reflex. It gets much more sensitive during pregnancy. I used to have problems with stimulating it while brushing my teeth, then throwing up. Coughing can stimulate your gag reflex.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:18 AM on Dec. 6, 2009