Aldi and Save a Lot

Anyone shop there? I've never been to either one but cooking dinner everynight gets expensive. Just wondering if the food is of good quality before I make a trip there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Food & Drink

• It must depend on where you're at because I've shopped at both places & LOVE it! Then again, our stores are clean. Check it out.

I have bought meat there (raise our own now) and didn't have a problem with it. I know that another local grocery store (the top store in the area) supplied the meat because SAL didn't have it's own meat processing area. I have no problems with the produce either. Sure, it's rarely fresh-pick-your-own-out-of-the-bin & there's not a HUGE choice, but if you know how to choose your produce you'll have no problems.

Our stores see so much business that food rarely stays on the shelf long enough to get close to it's expiration date. I have no qualms about the store brand quality vs. name brand. We have a strictly limited food budget so if my family wants to eat then they can't complain. We manage to eat very, very well though. My last shopping trip for 6 weeks worth of food came to $322 for a family of 7
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I wouldnt buy meat there.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• it has to vary from store to store, but if you like buying cheap bulk then it might be for you. Personally i couldn't stand either one of those places when i went in. Nothing was fresh and the shelves were dusty as all get out. But that might be the ones i went into. After we tried it that ONCE we figured out that Wally world was about the same in savings and had a better and bigger selection.

EarthHippy

Answer by EarthHippy at 4:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• At our last duty station there was a Save A Lot. I tried to shop there but I couldn't get past the filth. refrigerated items were constantly past due dates I just decided even if it was cheaper I'd cut the budget somewhere else to avoid the place.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I have shopped at both and they were cleaner and had better produce than our Wal Mart. It may depend on where you live, I would go in and check it out, if it seems gross then don't shop there. I love it and the savings are unbelievable.
    Anonymous