breast milk does not cause tooth rot/decay!!!! Where to people come up with this stuff???

Here is a link

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html

Do some reaserch before making such a claim.

Sorry, but only formula causes tooth decay in babies.

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 4:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Wildboyz, there are no citations for that website. It's not as reputable. Sorry.

Did you READ it? It offers a balanced view on the topic. It was written by dentists and quotes the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry. I am sorry that it gives credence to BOTH sides of the issue (even states there are studies that differ) rather than just backing up your point of view.

Personally, I believe that oral health and feeding your baby go hand in hand. Once they have teeth, you need to take care of them regardless of how you decide to feed your child. I was just pointing out that there is more than one side to the tooth decay issue, there is the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry as well as KellyMom and others.

Here is a link directly to the AAPD which backs up the views in the website. I found it by clicking through the information on the bottom of the original website to find its origin CONT
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 6:04 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Brush their teeth and gums and they wouldnt get tooth decay
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 4:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• breastmilk has a special ingredient that kills the bacteria that makes teeth rot. So, even breastfed babies who do not get their gums/teeth brushed are WAAAY less likely to have tooth decay than a bottlefed child who does get their teeth/gums cleaned, and that is a fact.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• The doctor told me that breastfeeding CAN be bad for babies teeth and to brush them (or wipe the gums) after feeding. I trust my doctor. Breast milk is SWEET usually and I'm sure that it CAN rot babies teeth if proper dental hygiene isn't being done. I'm sure breastfeeding is good for teeth overall but ANY kind of liquid (besides water, I guess) probably isn't good to keep on teeth without brushing.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 4:40 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Did you read the link, blubuni? Due to the anatomy and physiology of breastfeeding, it does not cause tooth decay. Bottlefeeding and solids can, because the liquid and food settle on the teeth. Breastmilk from the breast does not.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 4:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Okay. Well, kellymom.com isn't really a site I go too for informative breastfeeding info. If it was a medical link or something, perhaps I'd trust it. However, I could probably find a link that says formula feeding is best and breastfed babies are stupid - if I wanted to just site obscure links.

And no, breast milk is not a magic liquid. It settles on teeth, just like anything else.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Any Dr. who says that is an idiot. Luckily my childrens pediatrician knew better & told me the truth that breastmilk does not cuase tooth decay. I did have a Gyno that told me it did cause tooth decay & tried to warn me about it, but i told her she was full of crap. Because she was. OP is right, & i was told the same thing that BM helps teeth NOT decay. Both of my kids were breastfed, & neither of them have any cavities. And i breastfed them to sleep & everything, & did not brush their gums after falling asleep. They're theeth are cavity free & they are in their teens now.
    Anonymous

• "It settles on teeth, just like anything else"

Not true, read the article & then decide on whether or not you believe it or not.

It does not settle on teeth because the nipple is pulled WAY behind the teeth in the mouth.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Actually, BM is the magical liquid.
    Anonymous