Need help with my 8yr old.

Hello I have a 8 yr old son and he is not doing to good in class his not acting out but his grade's are low he had to repete the frist grade over and now he is in the second grade and I have met with his teaher and she seem's to think he may have ADD she suggested that I see his dr about this. He is in a regular class but they will take out of class to work with him where he is slow at. As for me I was in special class so I do understand but now I am trying to think how do I help he out of this I do help him with his homework at home but I know I need to do more what can I do?

mslady655

Asked by mslady655 at 4:37 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The school can test him for ADD. It's best to test him to know what he is dealing with so you know how to help teach him. Kids learn in nine different ways and you have to find the right way for him.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• TALK TO THE DR
    Anonymous

• You are doing the right thing, helping him with his homework but I would definitely get him evaluated so you know what you are dealing with and the special classes are better because there are less students therefore each student is able to get the individual attention they need
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 7:58 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Also find out if he is reading at grade level. If he is reading below he will never be able to catch up. If he is reading above, he is bored. Reading affects all other learning, if he can't read what's on the board, the homework won't come home, if he can't read the chapter, the homework won't get done, if he can't read the test, the questions will not be answered. If the school has not taught him to read by now, they won't be able to, no matter how much "extra help", because as someone pointed out already, children learn in different ways and schools pick a method and stick with it without comforming to individual learning styles. You may have to buckle down and get him an outside tutor like Sylvan Center or something along those lines. They do figure out what works with your child. On the other hand, if he's reading really well, they are holding him back and you need to rear your lioness head and make them take notice.
    ShelleyB64

Answer by ShelleyB64 at 3:58 AM on Dec. 5, 2009