How to comfort my daughter..

My daughter is in 1st grade. She has had a teacher intern in her class since the 1st day of school. Today was her last day and they had a little party and said goodbye. My daughter is very upset by all this. I was told only when I came to pick her up that she had been crying all day long. I am not sure how to handle this.. I don't know what to tell her to make her feel better, but I also don't know if I should say something to the school about not calling me, she didn't even eat lunch or play at recess which is not like her. I guess I am just asking other Moms what how they would handle this. She also is still very upset and is taking a nap right now as I type this which is why I am asking for advice now.

blessedmama4

Asked by blessedmama4 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do you have some pictures with thsi teacher? If not maybe see if you can get a hold of her and take some pictures with her. Have her draw some pictures about hwo she is feeling.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 5:28 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• All you can do is talk to her. Tell her sometimes people have to leave for new jobs. Make sure she doesn't feel like she did something wrong. Ask her to draw a picture of a happy time with the teacher.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:56 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• She's upset about the student teacher leaving? Just explain to her that the teacher was there to learn more...learn how to better teach kids, etc....and that now it's time for her to go finish her education and/or start teaching her own class.

I guess I don't understand the question completely...just talk to your daughter and find out exactly why she is so upset and explain the situation to her. If it's about the teacher, she's probably formed an attachment to her and is going to miss her. Like a friend moving away. Just handle it the same way.

As for the school calling you...there wasn't a reason to, really. My son has problems dealing with change and when he has an emotional day I'm not called, just told about it afterward then my son and I discuss the day and what happened. (he's in kindergarten) They probably knew why she was upset. What was calling you going to do? There's nothing you could have done.
    Anonymous

• A lot of kids who are upset find comfort in drawing and writing. Let her draw a picture or write a story for the student teacher. Also, assure your daughter that she will always be special to the student teacher because she was in her first class.

As for the school calling you, I wouldn't be upset. Schools are constantly in a damned-if-they-do, damned-if-they-don't-spot. There are parents who would be angry that they DID call because of the interruption and there would be parents who would be upset if they don't call. Most school reserve contacting the parents during the school day for emergencies because they can't simply drop their responsibilities to start making phone calls. They knew she was upset, but also knew she wasn't in any real danger.
    mommyjenny2009

Answer by mommyjenny2009 at 1:36 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Her tears are healthy, even though the teacher didn't exactly die, she's gone and that's the same for a small child. She's grieving, this is just her learning that things don't always stay the same, you just need to give her love and explain why it's happening. She sounds like a wonderfully sensitive child, and she'll be just fine. Don't bother with the school, they won't get why you are upset anyway.
    ShelleyB64

Answer by ShelleyB64 at 4:11 AM on Dec. 5, 2009