thrush?

I think my baby has thrush.

She's got white stuff all over he tongue, top of her both and in the backs of her mouth.

She's crying a lot and doesn't want to eat anymore. She won't take her pacifier.

She's 2 months old.

My friend gave me some Gentian Violet, is it safe to give it to her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ok my baby just got over this \. Go to the doctor they give u meds to put in the babbies mouth it works great. thrsh is hard to get rid of. when u get the meds make sure the thing u put the meds in to put in the babbies mouth is clean each time so u dont put it in the bottle and spread it. Dont try to rub or scrap off it will make the tounge bleed.
    If you r breast feeding make sure to tell the doctor so he or she can look at you too. it can get on your breast and hurt alot
    katiebeth1821

Answer by katiebeth1821 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Yes, Gentian Violet is safe and very effective at treating thrush and it does sound like your baby has thrush. GV stains and your baby's mouth will even be stained for a while. You need to sanitize everything that touches your baby's mouth daily until the thrush clears. White vinegar, boiling, or running things in the dish washer on hot will kill thrush.

If you're breastfeeding, contact your OB/Gyn for some Diflucan so you can treat yourself too.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Info on how to use gentian violet is on kellymom.com. It works better than Nystatin, which is what the doc will give.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:42 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• http://www.kellymom.com/newman/06gentian_violet.html
    Anonymous

• Yes, use it on both baby and you. I was prescribed Nystatin twice and it didn't work, but once with the GV and it cleared right up. Iwas told to completely swab baby's mouth and my nipples once a day for 7 days. Never re-dip whatever you use to swab or it will contaminate the bottle (I used q-tips). It is very dark purple and it will stain everything it comes in contact with, so use old clothes, lots of bibs, old blankets, etc. And sanitize everything that goes in baby's mouth, paci's, toys, everything. Good luck!
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Oh no....poor baby! Please get to a dr. I think thrush is painful for babies. Not trying to scare you but your baby needs help right now. I wish her better.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• www.kellymom.com is a great site! When your baby has thrush you have to do a lot of stuff to get rid of it for good. You have to boil all nipples, wash clothes a certain way, and do other stuff. It should tell you all on kellymom or give you a link.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Nystatin 3 times here and NO results! My doc didnt know what she was doing at all. I told her about Genetian Violet before I got it and she said "oh no just give the Nystatin a chance". Well we did for months! Got Genetian Violet and it knocked it out in 1 week.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2009