Information on a Colposcopy?

Has anyone had this done? Could you explain it for me please? Sounds painful.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 5:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2009 in Health

• Well I didn't get one but I was there for my sisters. Hehehehe you're in for some fun (sarcasm). You can't eat/drink anything before. You go in, they give you some meds that will make you really loopy but not sleep. They take a camera on a long cable & insert it into...well you know where its going. They look for rips, tears, etc. It's not a very long procedure. Make sure you take someone to drive you home, you'll still be too loopy to drive. After my sister's we took her out to eat @ Olive Garden, funniest experience ever!!!! Take someone w/ you who likes to laugh.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 5:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• that does not match what i am reading online about it. doctor told me i could take ibuprofen, said nothing of fun drugs.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I had it done a few years ago. I wasn't given fun drugs. I took Motrin and tried to deal with it. I had Colposcopy with biopsy. I didn't feel anything until the bx part. She used a "hole puncher" instrument and punched out the tissue samples. This hurt. Alot of cramping after the procedure.
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 6:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Mine was done several years ago, so I don't remember a lot of the details about the medicine. I'm not sure, but I think I was only on like a motrin or ibuprofin or something light like that. My biopsy was a lasering where you could smell flesh burning as they "melted" out areas where they found abnormal cells. It wasn't too too bad, but I do remember it being very uncomfortable afterwards. I was in some pain on the way home.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 6:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I think the first replier is confusing a Colposcopy with a Colonoscopy.

A colposcopy is when they use a speculum to open your vaginal wall and use a microscope type device to look into your vagina and cervix. They are looking for any sores or abnormal cells. They may do a biopsy or just another pap.

I had a colposcopy done when I was 20 weeks pregnant because my pap earlier was abnormal. They don't do biopsies during pregnancy. But it took all of 5 minutes with a pap, felt a little uncomfortable, but I didn't take anything for pain.

30 minutes later I felt completely normal like it never happened.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:19 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I disagree with the PP, I went back to work after mine (colposcopy with biopsy) and cramped in a bad way for the rest of the day! Then I had the LEEP procedure which was possible the worst pain I've had to deal with without pain meds. I hope you don't have to go through that!
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 11:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• i had it done a couple of months ago and it felt like a normal pap smear, a little more uncomfortable, they pour a vinager solution to see if any abnormal cells pop out.. mine was done without a biopsy. but with a biopsy i have read that you will have cramping/pain anywhere from 1-7 days and you will have discharge, this can be blood with dark liquid to coffe grinds looking stuff...this is due to the solution used at the biopsy site to aid healing and stop bleeding. i suggest you write down all the questions you have for the doctor now, that way you have one less thing to worry about. best of luck!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/HPVMOMS

vainco

Answer by vainco at 11:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2009

• acollins09....what do you disagree with me about? The pain? Well read my answer carefully. I clearly stated mine was done DURING PREGNANCY AND NO BIOPSY was performed and I had no pain from that. That is clearly different from someone who did indeed experiences a biopsy with the colposcopy. But biopsies CANNOT be done during pregnancy!!!!!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Thanks for the answers, i'm not looking forward to this at all!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2009